AOW vs GUE Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AOW is a lot of fun but doesn't come close to Fundies in terms of the training you receive and the skills you learn.

That really isn't true. I guess that in general it may be somewhat accurate, but it is not absolute. There are quite a few instructors here that teach thier AOW programs very similarly to Fundies...specifically as it relates to buoyancy, trim and planning.

That isn't to say that Fundies isn't a great course. Just don't assume all AOW programs are the **** course you had experience with.

That really isn't true. I guess that in general it may be somewhat accurate, but it is not absolute. There are quite a few instructors here that teach thier AOW programs very similarly to Fundies...specifically as it relates to buoyancy, trim and planning.

Is your AOW course five days of 9 or 10-hour days? I know there are some instructors who teach an unusually thorough AOW course, but if they still cram it into two days and don't really make sure students are on their way to mastering those skills, then it does not have anywhere near the intensity of Fundies.

9 or 10 hours?? No. 5 days? Yes.

I'm not saying all things are created equal...just that there are some AOW programs that are better developed than others. Not all AOW courses are 2 day "experiences" in tropical locations.

I am working through AOW with PADI just now. When I started diving last year I wanted to get some experience before starting AOW. As it turns out this was a poor decision as AOW would have been much more beneficial directly after OW.

Our course is running every Sunday for 5 weeks, 1 hour in the classroom to review the weeks homework followed by the relevant dive.

I have been very fortunate to dive frequently since qualifying and often in the company of vastly experienced divers, DM's and Instructors. I have found the AOW course to be quite limited in what it offers in new knowledge and skills but it is necessary to access the Rescue course.

echoing the sentiment of "padi aow is a colossal waste of time"

It is tiresome to read folks crapping on the AOW class; your complaints about it are that it is not the course you'd like it to be. It is kind of like complaining about a book on basketball because it is not about football.

AOW is meant to let people step gently beyond their OW training, and to give them an awareness of diving at depth (60-100 ft), and some confidence in U/W navigation. They also get to taste some other things they might be interested in. Sure, someone who has been diving for years and years in all kinds of conditions may not need that....but they had to learn it (on their own) anyway (I hope). AOW is not technical training, it is not a specialty course in deep, or nav, or night, or buoyancy, or whatever. And even as limited as it is, it might be taught poorly. That is not the course's fault.

The point here is that GUE Fundamentals is a good course...but it does not replace the AOW for someone who is a new diver and wishing to go on some charters that might go a little deeper or requires some navigational skills. If I wanted to get the equivalent of Fundies I guess I'd find a good instructor and do PPB and Intro to Tech...but then in addition I'd still want to do a Deep class plus a Navigation class and a full Rescue class.

My PADI AOW was the biggest load of crap I have ever spent my money on. Yet it is "recognized." I contacted Sun Dive Center in Maldives and asked if they recognized UTD Rec 2 and they had no clue what I was talking about. They asked me to bring a log-book and to send them a link to UTD. I agree with the crowd that says DIR will make you a better diver but most people around the world would have no clue what their certification is. I think it GUE and UTD need to send out materials or initiate awareness campaigns so that people start respecting their card more.

maybe AOW is worthwhile with a good instructor, but mine certainly wasn't. 5 star PADI affiliated dive shop but still it was pointless. PPB was fun but didn't teach me anything new. My deep dive, wreck dive, and fish id dives were indistinguishable from fundives, no training element whatsoever. underwater nav was swimming in a square so only useful for somebody who has never used a compass in their life

it was just an insultingly shallow course that seems to cover pretty basic **** that should have been covered in OW. shameless money grabbing as far as I'm concerned

When I did my PADI AOW in 1996, I don't think GUE was an option in this part of the world.
I believe the instructor is the most important factor rather than the course. My instructor was fine and I learnt a lot from him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom