AOW vs GUE Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, 32% is what you use to 100 feet. GUE goes to trimix deeper. Richer mixes are only used for deco.

So if you go to NC to dive the wrecks, and they supply you with 28%, you can't use it?

The point is that if you are certified for basic nitrox, you should be certified for anything 21-40%. What if you wanted 36% on a shallower dive. I can understand that GUE bubbas think anything deeper than 100' is helium territory, so I'll let you slide on the 28%.

Really? It only trains you in 32% Nitrox%?

Yup, a standard gas, much like Air, 36% and deco gases.

The theory in the course will give you the knowledge just as any Nitrox course, but all the 'short cuts' are based on a 32% gas. And fits many of their procedures (and down the road, makes for easier gas blending).

Any deeper than 100ft/30m, it's trimix time with GUE.

BRad

So what happens when UTD divers go to a place where 32% mix is not available? From what I understand, they DIR community does not believe in carrying computers also. When short-cuts do not work and when dive computers are also abandoned, where do you go from there?

So what happens when UTD divers go to a place where 32% mix is not available? From what I understand, they DIR community does not believe in carrying computers also. When short-cuts do not work and when dive computers are also abandoned, where do you go from there?

Hey, there is probably also an approved list of "standard sites." :)

To your local dive shop to sign up for AOW and nitrox so you can get back to diving.

Get the AOW & nitrox (dive travel rules of the road, good, bad, or indifferent). I love diving. I enjoy the skills associated with diving, to a point. As long as I can dive safely, feel comfy, not damage the environment, hover & spot a seahorse, and fly over the edge of Bloody Bay Wall, I'll get to the rest when my tank runs out. YMMV :)

I am looking to continue my training and was curious if anyone had any feedback on how well the GUE Fundamentals cert is received when travelling? I travel to Florida, Caribbean and Mexico and would like to participate in some of the "advanced" charters. Deeper bull shark dives, etc...

I definitely feel I will be a far better diver after completing the GUE course compared to the AOW specialties, but I'm really curious is if it's worth obtaining both.

Does anyone receive any push back when presenting their GUE cert as an advanced and get limited to 60' depths, no drifts, etc.?

Thanks

IMO they are 2 courses with totally different goals achieved.

The GUE course will make you better in the water, specifically geared towards GUE diving. Your buoyancy will be dialed in to their standards, your skills taught in the class will be excellent, and you'll be a safe part of a GUE team of divers.

The AOW card will get you on the boat for the dives you're wanting to do, and you will get out of the course exactly what you put into it. If you put the research in and find an awesome instructor, put in the hard work to learn what you need to learn both in and out of the water, and genuinely want to improve, you'll get something out of the course. If all you want is the card to get you on the boats, you can go that path as well.

For your stated goals, get both cards.

My AOW was taught by a brand new instructor and he gave us the "textbook" version exactly the PADI way.
The only reason I got it was so I could get on boats. The thing is I was already doing dives beyond anything taught so it was pretty much a collossal waste of time, except for a few good buddy contacts gained. I just looked at it as a one time gate toll to get on boats.

A little after that, sometime about 2000-2001 I seriously looked at GUE/DIR as it was developing in the southland. I looked beyond all the drama and egos that was revolving around DIR at the time in LA, and really looked at the nuts and bolts of the system. After a lot of investigation and then also looking into logistics, money, gear requirements, their style of diving vs my style of diving, I decided that to be DIR, (A) I couldn't afford it, (B) there were no instructors anywhere close, (C) I had family commitments/house/wife/kid/pets/responsibilities and couldn't just split for a week to LA to take rediculously expensive dive classes, and (D) it was too restrictive and didn't allow enough freedom for me.
I can say though, that anybody can practice perfect buoyancy skills and a lot of other things GUE does without taking fundies and still become a damn good diver. It's up to the individual to work on it.
In my case, I see nothing wrong with air, solo diving, or using non DIR compliant gear. I also like the freedom to just walk into any dive shop anywhere and get an air fill. Doesn't mean I'm not a good diver.

Back
Top Bottom