Apeks regs for doubles besides the Tek3 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s probably too late, but I have Tek3s and I wish I had bought DSTs instead :)

It’s probably too late, but I have Tek3s and I wish I had bought DSTs instead :)
You will probably find that you can sell the Tek3s for more than the price of new DSTs. I.e. just the first stages

The TEK3's could've been great if they had one of the three IP ports on the end, and an extra HP port next to the first.
They would've been ideal for sidemount as well, and have allowed for both a transmitter and an SPG.

As it stands, I can't see any practical use case for the TEK3 other than backmounted doubles, and I'd much rather have the DST's for that.

The TEK3's could've been great if they had one of the three IP ports on the end, and an extra HP port next to the first.
They would've been ideal for sidemount as well, and have allowed for both a transmitter and an SPG.

As it stands, I can't see any practical use case for the TEK3 other than backmounted doubles, and I'd much rather have the DST's for that.
Really tough to beat the DST's with 5th port for versatility.

I like the tek3s. The necklace hose does have a bit of a sharp bend in it , but it doesn’t really matter in practice, at least not for a few years anyways.

Hello, for doubles I currently used a mix of Apeks MTX + Apeks DST, but I don't like the routing of the DST for 2 LP hoses, on the same side, the angle is too large. Just ordered one XTX 200 to get the same straight routing as MTX, and will be using a spare Aqualung Legend in the meantime.

When facing at the wing :
Left Reg (Legend, Soon XTX200)
- 2 Left LP for backup 2nd + octo 2nd,
- 1 Right LP for wing inflator
- 1 Right HP for SPG
Right Reg (MTX-RC):
- 2 Left LP for main 2nd (long hose) + octo 2nd
- 1 Right LP for backup wing hose (used for DSMB)
- 1 left HP for SPG

I've several Tek3s which I use for stage and bailout cylinders. They are fantastic for when you need two or three hoses; which you do if using them for bailouts. As the hoses all point downwards, they lay flat against the cylinder, so don't move around.

They do come up at sensible prices second hand. I managed to grab a full "doubles" set which were virtually new.

The problem with the DST and DS4 configuration is at least one hose points outwards so it doesn't fold as neatly.

Tek3s have one big service issue. If the HP seat is worn (symptom is intermediate pressure creep) then the entire body needs replacing. This is utterly bloody ridiculously expensive -- Aqualung gouging at its worst -- costing more than a new first stage. Comparing with the DS4 which is circa $60 for a body. Other manufacturers use replaceable valve seats.

I am wondering
When facing at the wing :
Left Reg (Legend, Soon XTX200)
- 2 Left LP for backup 2nd + octo 2nd,
- 1 Right LP for wing inflator
- 1 Right HP for SPG
Right Reg (MTX-RC):
- 2 Left LP for main 2nd (long hose) + octo 2nd
- 1 Right LP for backup wing hose (used for DSMB)
- 1 left HP for SPG
Do you dive with four second stages?

I am wondering

Do you dive with four second stages?
Hello Joebar, yes I do!
That can sound strange or bulky but ...it's not too much when you are used to it.
Any of the tanks/regs can fail, and I can still donate air if buddy is completely out of air, without having to do regulator sharing.

Hello Joebar, yes I do!
That can sound strange or bulky but ...it's not too much when you are used to it.
Any of the tanks/regs can fail, and I can still donate air if buddy is completely out of air, without having to do regulator sharing.
You can donate air to your buddy with only two second stages. With your configuration you can share with three buddies.
How do you store the three regs?

I think I got now. You can still donate if one of your tanks / first stage fails, right?

Back
Top Bottom