Apeks xtx20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently using an Oceanic Alpha 8. While it has been good to me, (kept me alive) I am looking to upgrade. I am seriously considering the Apeks xtx20. I am not a tec or extreme diver. I was pointed in this direction mainly because of good reviews and the fact it has the ability to change out exhaust T's for different bubble dispersion. My Oceanic can cause me problems with the exhaust running over my ears, creating a reverse block at depths. Very painful.

I am asking for opinions on this regulator and where I can get buy one either new or excellent condition at a fair price. Thanks for your help.

Hmmm. I've never heard of reg exhaust bubbles causing a reverse block. That's pretty interesting.
If you find the bubbles bothersome, I suppose you could just wear a hood.
Prior to purchasing anything, you might want to rent/borrow an Apeks XTX second stage and conduct test dives with it to ensure that the wide exhaust T solves your issue.

The Apeks XTX20 is an excellent second stage. It lacks a breathing adjustment knob and the heat exchanger that the XTX50 has. Other than that, it's essentially the same as the XTX50/100/200.

The first stage that comes with the XTX20 is a version of the DST that is not environmentally sealed (UST?).

Both the first and second stage would be very easy to work on (DIY servicing if you feel so inclined). If you will be diving in cold water (temps. below 50°F), then it would probably make sense to get a second/first stage combo that is rated for such temps, such as the XTX50/DST.

To purchase a new Apeks reg set, see your nearest Aqualung/Suunto/Apeks dealer.
If you are restricted by budget considerations, you might want to take a look at the HOG-brand regs as an alternative.

Last edited:
The first stage that comes with the XTX20 is a version of the DST that is not environmentally sealed (UST?)

Yes, UST (UnSealed Turret)

Actually, the XTX 20 is currently being marketed in the US with the US4 first stage, which is a DS4 without the environmental seal. It has no turret, and is an excellent and very compact first stage. I use one quite often for warm water diving. The DST (environmentally sealed w/turret) first stage is usually sold with the XTX 40 and 50. I don't believe that the UST is currently being marketed in the US.

Actually, the XTX 20 is currently being marketed in the US with the US4 first stage, which is a DS4 without the environmental seal. It has no turret, and is an excellent and very compact first stage. I use one quite often for warm water diving. The DST (environmentally sealed w/turret) first stage is usually sold with the XTX 40 and 50. I don't believe that the UST is currently being marketed in the US.
@keyshunter: You're absolutely correct. In the U.S., the Apeks XTX20 comes paired with the US4. I was looking at information on the Apeks UK website when I wrote my previous post. My apologies to the OP.

Great choice for an upgrade to your Alpha 8. The size is great for travel.

well, i have the Apeks XTX 200. I only have good things to say about it, high quality, very comfortable and an excellent breather

For XTX-200 both version of the exhaust T are included.
For XTX-20, you might have to specify it when ordering.
I could be wrong !!

Would someone please explain how the exhaust "T" works on this unit. I have read they are interchangeable, but I cannot wrap my brain around it. No local dealer either. How much different are the T's?

xtx-features2.jpg

You push the button in the middle, they seperate into two halves, and you swap them around. Short's good for secondary, wide is good for primary

Back
Top Bottom