Apeks XTX200 VS. Zeagle Flathead LT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know anything about the Zeagles, so I'll just speak to the Apeks;

I bought an XTX200 set as my first regs, and have been nothing but pleased;

- they breathe exceptionally well
- are very well made - solid materials and great workmanship.
- the hose routing on the first stage is simple and elegant. I often wonder at other regs with hoses jutting out all over the place.
- plenty of ports for single tank use, even if you dive dry and need an inflator hose
- I like the environmental sealing - not that I dive very cold water - just that I like the thought that no "crud" makes it into the reg :)
- very nice looking piece of kit as well.

I'm not a big fan of the "Safe Second" set-ups. Partly because a few divers I've met with those didn't realize how things were going to work if they needed to share air. But then I dive a long hose and bungeed back-up rig - so I admit to being quite biased in that direction :D . If you do go with a "Safe Second", please make sure you practice with it and that the inflator hose is long enough for you to comfortably dive/breathe it and that your primary LP hose is long enough for another diver to (relatively) comfortably breathe from it.

Henrik

Thanks for sharing Apkes experience, how do you find the price of servicing (anual check up) on the XTX200? Is it really as expensive as some people try make me believe? I know Zeagle has some of the easiest and cheapest servicing around especially because you can get a DIY kit and with a bit of training your're good to go. Is it possible to learn how to service the Apkes units your selve or will this void warranty?

And yes i've been thinking more about that integrated second stage, it does seem a bit awkward to have to control buoyancy and breathing in an emergency situation :)

Cheers,
Manny.

---------- Post added ----------

Thanks for all your feedback people! It's making my discussion making a little easier haha (or is it?... :blinking:)
Yes i realize that the XTX50 and that are basically the same... problem is i'm a sucker for a bit of bling haha so i don't mind paying for it :p

How do you find the servicing prices for the Apkes XTX200?

Cheers for your feedback!

Thanks for all your feedback people! It's making my discussion making a little easier haha (or is it?... :blinking:)
Yes i realize that the XTX50 and that are basically the same... problem is i'm a sucker for a bit of bling haha so i don't mind paying for it :p

How do you find the servicing prices for the Apkes XTX200?

Cheers for your feedback!

Not 100% decided yet but i'm leaning more and more to the Apeks.
The XTX200 was my initial choice until i had a chat with my local Zeagle dealer and he got my thinking about the Flathead LT.

Now after reading all the comments i really do like the idea of the environmental seal, i do a bit of shore diving and just donw like the idea of sand and other stuff getting in there, i'm sure it won't matter that much but having it nice and dry sounds a lot better. I also do like the look of the Apeks a tad more than the Zeagle ( i know this shouldn't be the deciding factor haha)
Apeks is just that little more bad ass looking ha!

Also been hearing good things about the hose routing, i hate current rental i use every weekend it's just awkward (some basic oceanic reg)

The other thing is i ordered it a few weeks ago and only recently got sidetracked by the Zeagle as it does seem like a worthy contender plus the idea of servicing it your selfe appeals to me.

The LDS i ordered from does have the best price out there i think... For the XTX200 and XTX40 octo set $675 but the initial "yes we can get it in a couple of days has now turned into 2 weeks... arghh

But please keep your findings coming i'm interested to see what other people think about these to regs :D

Cheers,
Manny

I have the Apeks XTX200, dive both cold and warm water and love the reg. It is solid and dependable and durably made. I serviced it myself (in a regulator class) and if you buy new and get it inspected annually, you have parts for free for life under their warranty. I have had no issues and the performance has been great.

As an FYI, I also have some HOGS environmentally sealed and they breathe even better.

I don't take my regs in for service - I do my own service :) That is, I've been working on older SP regs, and will tear into my FSR/XTX regs shortly. So I don't know about pricing for servicing.

I've been able to find service kits for the Apeks regs - takes a bit of looking around, but it's doable. They cost about the same as the kits I've bought for the SP regs.

Oh, about the mouth piece; that's one of my personal issues with the "safe second" - in addition to managing ascent/venting/breathing from the same device:

If you're using a safe second, you will/should be donating your primary regulator. If you have a custom shape SeaCure mouth piece (for example) and need to donate, there is a very real possibility that the recipient may have problems fitting the mouth piece in his/her mouth, and breathing from it. I've seen the "tough diver" responses, that "if they want air, they'll breathe from anything", but my personal opinion is that I would much rather not add more stress to an already "iffy" situation.

Why not just get the XTX 50 and save some cash?

So i decided to go with my first decision and got the Apkes XTX 2000 XTX 40 Octo package, so far so good. I have done one dive so far and i'm really liking it so far. I did have a bit of leakage coming from the ocy at the surface, this reduced when diving deeper. How do i tweak it? My leaver was set to - (minus).

Also something that i don't understand... why are the labels and logos upside down when the reg is installed? Or did i just set it up wrong? (lol)
photo (30).jpg

I think you set it up wrong. I do not have an XTX 200 but I have an older TX100 and the logos are right side up.

I believe on the 200 the diaphragm should be up for the logos to be oriented properly. I would still keep it the way you have it as the diaphragm is more protected looking down.

Ask your shop to downtune your octo. I always down tune my apeks as the way it is setup is too sensitive and always flows on the surface if you have the diaphragm hitting the water first :)

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! Yes i had a feeling it was upside down (mostly due to the fact the logos where upside down, which i thought would be a bit silly on the design teams behalve) But i noticed the reg was breathing a little wet wich is something that happens when you use it upside down if i'm not mistaken. On other regs like the zeagle and oceanic that i've seen the environmental seal is facing down. I emailed a picture to apkes and they said it was set up incorrect also.

Which set up is correct and what are the pros and cons?

Cheers,
Manny.

could you post a picture of your setup. I had a feeling my LDS installed it upside down lol

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! Yes i had a feeling it was upside down (mostly due to the fact the logos where upside down, which i thought would be a bit silly on the design teams behalve) But i noticed the reg was breathing a little wet wich is something that happens when you use it upside down if i'm not mistaken.

You are a bit mistaken :) Wet breathing can happen on some regs when the second stage is upside down. For the first stage it does not matter how it is oriented.

Back
Top Bottom