Apple Watch, Oceanic+ and iOS 16.4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This 'feature' is still a requirement, not removed in the last update just adjusted to have a less severe outcome if you press the button mid dive - app records dive data as soon as you descend below 1m and logs this even if you press the action button mid dive.

Ah, thank you. Disappointing but still an improvement over the original implementation. I did see that the beginning of the dive was still logged even though I didn't press the Action button until a couple minutes into the dive.

Has anyone not pressed the Action button throughout the entire dive and can confirm whether the dive appears in the Oceanic+ logbook?

Official v 1.1 info says:
"Dive data now records from the moment you hit the water, logging every time you go beyond 1 meter (3 feet), even if you press the 'action button' mid-dive."
They don't define "mid-dive," but I doubt it includes after leaving the water. My guess is it works as long as the dive is still in progress. Assuming you look at your AWU at least once during the dive, I think you're covered.

Has anyone not pressed the Action button throughout the entire dive and can confirm whether the dive appears in the Oceanic+ logbook?
It does show up in the logbook but has an icon identifying it as a "ghost dive" where the action button was never pressed.
IMG_3002.jpeg

It does show up in the logbook but has an icon identifying it as a "ghost dive" where the action button was never pressed.
View attachment 783999

They don't define "mid-dive," but I doubt it includes after leaving the water. My guess is it works as long as the dive is still in progress. Assuming you look at your AWU at least once during the dive, I think you're covered.

Excellent, thank you! This could come in handy for just putting the watch into a pocket, assuming the log details can still be edited. I'll test this out over Memorial Day weekend during a series of shallow shore dives.

Besides, what's not to love about ghost dives? 👻

Another day, another Oceanic+ software update. Looks like the devs are staying busy.

May 18 — Oceanic+ 1.1.2
“Bug fixes and performance enhancements related to latest iOS versions”

I’m a bit wary of that kind of release schedule and lack of detail in release notes. For an app that is non-critical I get it. Devs like to push fixes as often as possible and they might be for bugs that are arbitrary whose explanation would mean nothing to the end user.
My expectation for this app is different. Updates pushed out quickly like this must be very important to the critical functions and therefore should be explained in reasonable detail. Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

Updates pushed out quickly like this must be very important to the critical functions and therefore should be explained in reasonable detail. Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

There's no way to know whether an update affects critical functions, or for that matter – any in-water, watch functions.

Oceanic+ is really two apps: one app on watchOS, and one app on iOS. If 1.1.2 was just "related to latest iOS versions," it might not touch watch functions at all. Clearly, the iOS component has no real-time diving functionality. Given the way watch app architecture is set up, it's sort of a black box for outsiders, in terms of how software changes are allocated.

Also, I would say that non-descriptive update info is the norm these days, not the exception. Oceanic had two updates this week, but I believe that's a one-off since the launch phase.

Yes, the is the nuance I had forgotten. I realise non-descriptive update info is the norm, I just think for an ecosystem like this it would be a much better customer experience for them to define the updates and also call out if the update is for the iOS or Watch app.

Once again- Oceanic+ software update.

May 22 — Oceanic+ 1.1.3
“Bug fixes and performance enhancements related to latest iOS versions”

Something I’d missed earlier — the iOS 16.5 update came out last Thursday, as well as watchOS 9.5. All of these small Oceanic+ updates were in the last week, and I’m guessing they were related to Apple’s OS updates.

Maybe Oceanic’s update info has actually been more descriptive than we thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom