Apple Watch, Oceanic+ and iOS 16.4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting! Are you saying that "de-ghosted" dives are identical in every way? Clearly that would make pocket use totally viable. Stick it in a pocket as BU and/or use as a post-dive cell phone/text message tool.

Exactly, the only difference is the ghost dive is marked with a ghost icon. All the data is identical to non-ghost dives including entry/exit GPS coordinates, and the attributes that can be populated in non-ghost dives are editable as well. Let's hope the devs don't mess with that!

It sounds like you temporarily couldn’t sync, but then all existing data syncs properly when devices are talking normally again?

Right, the issue each time is the logs show up on the AWU, but don't transfer to the iOS app. Manually syncing through the iOS app's account settings, restarting the devices, etc., have no effect - both times the issue was immediately resolved after an Oceanic+ app update. This could be annoying if you need to jot down details in your logs since that can't be done in the AWU app. Might need to go old school and bust out a pen and some paper, or type up separate notes that can be copy-pasted over once sync is working again.

Exactly, the only difference is the ghost dive is marked with a ghost icon. All the data is identical to non-ghost dives including entry/exit GPS coordinates, and the attributes that can be populated in non-ghost dives are editable as well…

Great. Essentially, this means you don't have to worry about manually initiating a dive on the AWU at all. Put in in your pocket at some point before the dive & forget it…

…both times the issue was immediately resolved after an Oceanic+ app update…

Good- wait a few days, and everything takes care of itself.

I've come to like the additional step of confirming I am 'Fit and Ready' as it ensures that I check that my dive computer is functioning but I really appreciate ghost dives too.

Since mid April I have not been able to get my iWatch Ultra (v9.5.1), Oceanic+ (v1.1.4) and my iPhone 13 Pro Max (v16.5) to sync up dives. My watch shows one dive only while my phone shows 25. I have a yearly subscription. The one dive on my watch will not sync with my phone. Prior to April the dives were sync'd between both. I've tried all the standard procedures but no luck.

Since mid April I have not been able to get my iWatch Ultra (v9.5.1), Oceanic+ (v1.1.4) and my iPhone 13 Pro Max (v16.5) to sync up dives. My watch shows one dive only while my phone shows 25. I have a yearly subscription. The one dive on my watch will not sync with my phone. Prior to April the dives were sync'd between both. I've tried all the standard procedures but no luck.
Hard to tell what's going on there. The Watch app should be the central 'truth' for dive logs. I'd suggest a logging a ticket with Oceanic. They have a new process for doing this. Go to their FAQ page and scroll to the bottom to find the Click here to report Oceanic+ App issues link.

My Watch logbook is currently blank, but all dives appear in the phone app log book. I am submitting a ticket too.

Hard to tell what's going on there. The Watch app should be the central 'truth' for dive logs. I'd suggest a logging a ticket with Oceanic. They have a new process for doing this. Go to their FAQ page and scroll to the bottom to find the Click here to report Oceanic+ App issues link.

My Watch logbook is currently blank, but all dives appear in the phone app log book. I am submitting a ticket too.
Thanks, I just submitted my issue. Lets hope they actually do something.

Thanks, I just submitted my issue.

Haven't used mine on a dive yet. Curious- aside from the iPhone sync issue, how was the experience?

I received a short reply to my submission:

Description
On my phone, Oceanic+ shows 50 dives. On my Watch, Oceanic+ shows no dives in the logbook.

"Did you delete the application for the watch?"

I took this as a suggestion to delete and reinstall the app on the watch but it really was a clarifying question. I found this out later after deleting and reinstalling and replying that I had done so. One line reply:

"Unfortunately, if the app was deleted from the watch prior to a successful sync, this data cannot be recovered."

So, not particularly helpful and shows the original detail in my ticket wasn't read very carefully as I had explained all my dives showed on my phone (so I did have a successful sync), just not on the watch.
One thing it did prompt in my memory was that I had changed phones a day or so before noticing the dives missing on my watch. I think this explains why mine were missing - pairing the watch with a new phone wipes the watch and then reinstalls apps based on the new phones settings. Oceanic+ app seems to be a one way sync from watch -> phone and not back the other way. No major loss to me as I have all my dives but not the greatest experience, especially when then sync graphic and wording indicates a two way sync.

TLDR; don't delete the app from your watch as a troubleshooting exercise unless all your dives have synced to your phone. If you change phones, you will lose dive logs on your watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom