April '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4/26/05
Redondo Canyon, Vet's park, straight out from stairs and south at the blue contour lines marked in the sand ;-)
Max depth: 122fsw
Temp at depth: 51F (Aeris)
Start: 6:30 PM
Run time: 49 minutes
Waves: 1 foot, basically surface chop in brisk wind.

Continuing the cosmic pursuit in an alternate location, Ross-O and I capped a relentless work day with neutral buoyancy and deep immersion.
I'm eager to see the lion nudibranchs that Ross has photographed deep in the Redondo Canyon off Vet's park, so our plan was to surface swim out to the shipping lanes and dirt-dart to the bottom. After getting beat by the surface chop for awhile, we compromised with dropping a bit sooner and driving down the mud slope to 120fsw. Lots of life out in 20+ visibility: long-spine combfish everywhere, swaths of brittle star arms waving in the gloom, flatfish (from 2 inches to big 2-footer), bottle octopus and a small one hiding in the mud, red rockfish, cusk eels, midshipmen, roughfin sculpin, crabs galore. No nudibranchs we could find, but not much kelp debris in this area. Easing up to 110, Ross flashed me over...to see a stunning 4-foot angel shark dished into the muddy substrate. Eyes barely moving, it held that pose for photos. Ross found the shark's personal-space boundry and this beautiful animal rose up and flew straight at where I had been right before I had gasped, flinched and arched away so hard I got cramps in both calves. It looked alot bigger as it came up off the mud!! I looked over and noticed lots of bubbles were escaping from Ross's mask and reg....hmmmm.... "Fun with buddies?" I had been wanting to see it closer, and I got my wish! Continuing a slow diagonal climb up, we startled dozens of swimming crabs enjoying the brisk 51F water. We turned to parallel the edge of the canyon, and I realized the thermocline rested exactly at the boundry between relatively barren flat sand and the obviously life infested canyon slope. We found a Hermissenda nudibranch in boa-kelp debris, a little poacher fish that contentedly rested in my hand, and the smallest sarcastic fringehead I've seen yet: 4 inches of free-swimming cuteness. And then, ANOTHER angel shark! Shorter and rounder, and posed perfectly for the camera, this one eventually lifted and swam away into the gloom of the deeper canyon. Slow and gentle ascent along the bottom gave us pipe fish, spiney mole crabs, rock crabs, and modest sand dollar beds to appreciate, while warming up in the nearly balmy shallows. An odd army of at least 50 olive shell gastropods were making parallel furrows in the sand...all 'racing' toward the beach followed by a moon snail and an armored sea star. We surfaced to a golden setting sun, with hearts and minds refreshed by the unbelievable wonders of it all. Thanks, Ross, for a fun and fascinating dive!

Claudette,

That sounds like one eventful dive for being only 49 minutes!! Was the angel shark (bigger one) bigger than that adult horn shark we saw? Sounds like Redondo is a haven for sharks.... all you need now is a mako and great white and you can complete the set... heh Sounds like a great dive....

Also, can someone tell me what is the fascination with nudibranchs?

Stryker:
Claudette,

That sounds like one eventful dive for being only 49 minutes!! Was the angel shark (bigger one) bigger than that adult horn shark we saw? Sounds like Redondo is a haven for sharks.... all you need now is a mako and great white and you can complete the set... heh Sounds like a great dive....

Nudibranchs? just look at these babies we've spotted in so-cal:
http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/search.php?searchstring=nudibranch

there's a couple hundred species in the area, some are quite colorful, very beautiful, they have complex body parts, easy to photograph, they don't swim away from you, you never know when you are going to find a new species, ... they are just awesome!

I recommend this book:
http://slugsite.tierranet.com/davebook.htm

And what could be more exciting diving at redondo searching for these guys?
http://www.divebums.com/FishID/Pages/melibe_leonina.html

I'm sure Terry will have more to say on this subject...

HBDiveGirl:
Continuing the cosmic pursuit in an alternate location, Ross-O and I capped a relentless work day with neutral buoyancy and deep immersion.
Sounds like a cool dive with decent conditions. I've been thinking about Thursday night at Vets, but am still a little on the fence ... it looks as though conditions are supposed to roughen up a bit. I'll have to keep my eye out for more reports from tonight.

Edit: No go for me Thursday schedule-wise for non-weather-related reasons ... will have to try next week ...

HBDiveGirl:
4/26/05
Redondo Canyon, Vet's park, straight out from stairs and south at the blue contour lines marked in the sand ;-)
Max depth: 122fsw
Temp at depth: 51F (Aeris)
Start: 6:30 PM
Run time: 49 minutes
Waves: 1 foot, basically surface chop in brisk wind.

Here are the pics to go along with Claudette's report.

angel%20shark.jpg

navanax01.jpg

nudi01.jpg

pipe%20fish.jpg

sand%20dollars.jpg

olives.jpg

snail.jpg

Ross-O's Redondo Canyon Page

It was a good time!
Ross-O

Wow...I can look at those pictures and feel like I was there!!!! Thanks for posting them...definitely worth MORE than thousands of words....each!
So.....that Angel shark actually has...um, "teeth" in that rather large looking mouth...which remained closed as it darted by me...very near me?? Fascinating...:icon10:
Very neat pictures!!

Stryker:
Claudette,
That sounds like one eventful dive for being only 49 minutes!!
Mission-driven diving!
Was the angel shark (bigger one) bigger than that adult horn shark we saw? Sounds like Redondo is a haven for sharks.
The bigger angel shark was at least 4 feet long and 2 feet across at it's widest spot. Significantly heftier animal than the 2.5 - 3 foot horn shark we saw...but not as colorful! Divers have seen many kinds of sharks at the canyon, as well as electric rays.
They are evidence of hallucigens in the gene pools of evolution, man! Check out those links from Scottfiji. They are exquisite little jewels in the kelp forest of SoCal diving.
To paraphrase a old philosophical chesnut: "You can't dive the same canyon twice." Aren't you glad you finally found diving??
Claudette

Tyler and I met up at Vallecitos at 1 PM today and headed out into the 1-2 foot surf and swam through the mild surface chop to our drop point. We descended into the shallows and found ourselves in green water with limited visibility. The run-off from the previous rains probably spurred the growth of algae resulting in the diminished visibility. We dropped into the canyon hoping for better visibility and we were not disappointed. The visibility was no where near what it was earlier this week in the canyon, but was a respectible 15-20 feet - however, there was not as much ambient light today due to the hazy layer above us, which was disappointing as I had my video camera with me. The plan was to get some good wide angle shots of the canyon and its structure but Murphy's Law handcuffed that notion :). We headed into the canyon, exploring the collection of kelp and other detritus on the bottom - these areas appear to be favored by juvenile Kelp Bass and juvenile Senoritas. Although they kept their distance from us, we saw a pair of large Ocean Whitefish (the largest I've seen) 'mingling' with the juvenile Kelp Bass. After we hit our turnaround, we headed up the sandy canyon slopes until we crested the lip of the canyon. As we ascended, we hit that green water again but luckily passed right through it and into nice clearer water in the shallows (above 20 fsw). The visibility was in the 10-15 foot range but there was a lot of ambient light and the ripples of the surface water were clearly visible. We explored the shallows as we headed to our exit point when my eyes caught a Flabellina pricei - I locked down and attempted to get some video of the little guy. A little further on, we saw another Flabellina pricei which was munching on what appeared to be a piece of eel grass (or some growth on the eel grass blade). We also saw a small crab which I was not familiar with, although it appears to be an ARROW CRAB. I did get some video of it and have it posted - if anyone recognizes this little bugger please let me know! As we continued our swim to our exit point, we came across the rock patches and found, as usual, several juvenile Sheep Crabs, juvenile Sand Bass, Turbots/Soles, and some Speckled Midshipman (spooked by the juvie Sheep Crabs) in the sandy areas adjacent to the rock garden. We continued our swim and finally headed into shore to make our exit at Vallecitos Street. The skies were blue and sunny and did not give any indications of the rain that is supposed to visit us shortly - I hope the storm stays away! :)

VIDEO: Flabellina pricei (1:07 min, 5.5 MB)
VIDEO: Unknown Arthropod (0:36 min, 3.1 MB)

BOTTOM TIME: 84 minutes
VISIBILITY: 10-15 feet
Temp Surface: 59 degree F
Temp Bottom: 55 degree F
Air Temp: 64 degree F

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom