Aqua Lung Pearl i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa,

I took several pics of both BC's fully geared up so you can get an idea where all the hoses go. You can see how tucked away the inflator hose is on both units and how the ABS octo fits nicely into the octo pocket.

34o3bdl.jpg

2cqjm2c.jpg

28tid.jpg

ddc5lw.jpg

2vd2ow8.jpg

1z18tc4.jpg

2e0pmxz.jpg

dwpahe.jpg

Thanks Mike!

Lisa,

Thought I might weigh in since I have a different opinion from the others in this thread. A friend of mine owns the pro QD i3 wich is the mens version of the BC you're looking at. I tried diving it and I hated it. It's very bulky. I found it uncorfortable.

Lisa,

Thought I might weigh in since I have a different opinion from the others in this thread. A friend of mine owns the pro QD i3 wich is the mens version of the BC you're looking at. I tried diving it and I hated it. It's very bulky. I found it uncorfortable.

I guess it depends on peoples perception of what feels bulky. Lisa, I don't have an option for diving warm water, so I dive cold water because I enjoy the gorgeous Kelp beds of Monterey.

Having said that I'm already in a lot of gear being that I bundle up in a three piece wet suit combination. I want to feel very secure in these waters and I really like the very snug fit the i3 gives me.

I feel that it protects me and that psychologically enhances my diving.

I personally don't feel bulky in the water in fact I have a lot of video of me swimming in all sorts of positions; and one can say I'm moving un-restricted.

Warm water diving sounds like a lot of fun, for one, you don't have so much on the neoprene.

Lisa the suits are designed for both types of water and yes they are a little more on the heavy side compared to other warm water BC's.

I've worn my BC in a pool and so has my wife without all the neoprene and I don't feel bulky, but I'm just 5'4 and my wife is 5'3.

Overall I would say these suits are pretty nice for recreational diving; as I would want complete different gear for tech diving, one being the backpack with wings.

MG

<hijack>
Mike,

If I were you I would remove all the stickers except for the VIP stickers on those tanks, especially on the PST E7-80 (that's what you just bought, yes?). If not you'll have a very weird looking tank very shortly. The areas under the stickers will remain very shiny while everything else will turn a mottled grey as the zinc forms a layer of zinc oxide.

The sticker will slowly get beaten up and you'll probably remove it anyway (it should be removed for a proper VIP too). The longer it is on the tank, the harder it is to get off. Then when you do finally take it off, everything underneath will still be shiny while the rest of the tank will be that mottled grey color.

LP80.jpg

I have a friend who recently inherited a PST HP100 from ~1989. COVERED in stickers, one of which was the very beat up huge round PST sticker. The rest of the tank was beat up and scarred while some of the area under the round PST sticker were still very shiny and had not been exposed to water. Makes for a very weird looking tank...

Differnt strokes for different folks I guess. Just thought I would offer a different oppinion so the OP doesn't assume that these things are universally well liked.

I'm not sure where you got the idea I'm a warm water diver. I live in Boston. Water temps here are about the same as Montery.

Try diving a BP/W and you will see why this BC feels bulky to me. I don't want to be one of those broken records that just shouts BP/W BP/W BP/W everytime someone asks any question about a BC. So I thought I would simply and concisely share my experience with that particular BC. It's only uncomfortable by comparison. I've only tried 4 different BCs and it was by far the least comfortable.

I guess it depends on peoples perception of what feels bulky. Lisa, I don't have an option for diving warm water, so I dive cold water because I enjoy the gorgeous Kelp beds of Monterey.

Having said that I'm already in a lot of gear being that I bundle up in a three piece wet suit combination. I want to feel very secure in these waters and I really like the very snug fit the i3 gives me.

I feel that it protects me and that psychologically enhances my diving.

I personally don't feel bulky in the water in fact I have a lot of video of me swimming in all sorts of positions; and one can say I'm moving un-restricted.

Warm water diving sounds like a lot of fun, for one, you don't have so much on the neoprene.

Lisa the suits are designed for both types of water and yes they are a little more on the heavy side compared to other warm water BC's.

I've worn my BC in a pool and so has my wife without all the neoprene and I don't feel bulky, but I'm just 5'4 and my wife is 5'3.

Overall I would say these suits are pretty nice for recreational diving; as I would want complete different gear for tech diving, one being the backpack with wings.

MG

I tried this on at my LDS last weekend, and I really liked the fit. I also was intrigued by the fact that the hose connection is down on the lower left side, rather than over the shoulders. But I wonder, does this really make a difference, when the hoses are going to be coming out of the top of the tank anyway?

Pearl i3

What are your thoughts on this? I'm in the market for a BC, and since I'm small, I need one that will not overwhelm me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D

My wife got a new mares Kaila for xmas. She saids it is extremely comfortable. We looked at the al pearl, but the mares fit her better. All the major brands have women version of the men's bc. Go try them all.

I see you are in NYC, you can go to LP, they carry many different models for women. Mares, Aeris, Oceanic, cressi, zeagle, sherwood and couple more that you can try.

<hijack>
Mike,

If I were you I would remove all the stickers except for the VIP stickers on those tanks, especially on the PST E7-80 (that's what you just bought, yes?). If not you'll have a very weird looking tank very shortly. The areas under the stickers will remain very shiny while everything else will turn a mottled grey as the zinc forms a layer of zinc oxide.

The sticker will slowly get beaten up and you'll probably remove it anyway (it should be removed for a proper VIP too). The longer it is on the tank, the harder it is to get off. Then when you do finally take it off, everything underneath will still be shiny while the rest of the tank will be that mottled grey color.

LP80.jpg

I have a friend who recently inherited a PST HP100 from ~1989. COVERED in stickers, one of which was the very beat up huge round PST sticker. The rest of the tank was beat up and scarred while some of the area under the round PST sticker were still very shiny and had not been exposed to water. Makes for a very weird looking tank...

I went ahead and removed the very large PST sticker. My worthington steel 100's came only with a green, do not remove or alter this label. It's a generic label and you can see it with this pic:

Should I remove this label?
zksnpg.jpg

Mike,

My Worthington 119s that I got a little over a year ago had that sticker on as well. I decided to take it off, figuring it was kind of like the ones you'd see on pillows. :wink: "Do not remove except by the consumer under penalty of death" -- that sort of thing. If it matters, it did save them, but really they're not needed.

If you look in the picture I posted, you should also be able to see a shiny square area. That was the PST equivalent of what is currently on your Worthington 100. If you left it on, it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference; I'm sure you're aware that the hot-dipped galvanized finish on PST tanks was much shinier directly from the manufacturer than the Worthington finish (both are high quality though). Thus the PST tanks would suffer the effects more than the Worthingtons.

Personally I'm a big fan of having the minimal amount of stickers required on a tank to get by. Since most of what is put on those stickers isn't useful information for diving, I quickly remove them. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom