Aqualung Conshelf VI and vintage rig questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a link to new repo duckfeet, they might be a fin than would suit you and are of the proper vintage. VOIT UDT Duck Feet Fins | Fins | Dive Gear

As for the 80 vs 72, I pretty much have to stick with 80's when diving with no BC if I want to keep my buoyancy as close to neutral as possible. With an 80 I am pretty much dead on at 1500psi in an 80. A 72 would put me negative by more than I want with no BC or wetsuit.

However, what is your goal? Vintage or eclectic? If you want to be accurate, use what was available at the time of your interest. But, remember pre 1990 Al tanks could cause problems.

However, what is your goal? Vintage or eclectic? If you want to be accurate, use what was available at the time of your interest. But, remember pre 1990 Al tanks could cause problems.

Okay, I'll admit that I'm not very savvy on pre-90's AL80's. Why would they cause problems? Would it be hard to find one in good shape? I wouldn't mind using a J-valve, and I'm familiar with how they work and how to get them filled.

However, what is your goal? Vintage or eclectic?

If you are asking if everything I use will be vintage, I'd like it to at least look that way. The mask, for example, is going to be from VSS or similar, so although not from the period, it will look reasonably like it is. I also picked up a pair of US Divers full footed swim fins that look like the old 75 era full footed swim fin, though are more modern. I'd like everything that isn't period correct to at least look basically like it is in terms of appearance. I just don't want to dive any gear that is so old that it borders on being in disrepair. My plastic tank pack, for example, is rigged with modern 2" nylon webbing like a typical hog harness. Most of the plastic tank pack setups I've seen had what looked like 1" webbing, but I figured it was easier to find buckles, rings, and such for 2" so I went with that. Is that more eclectic than vintage?

It old steel 72 is the preferred tank. About -4.5 full and 0 to +/- 1 empty. I can dive one with no suit and no weights in fresh water and 2 or 3 pounds in salt. The AL 80 is way to buoyant.

If you are asking if everything I use will be vintage, I'd like it to at least look that way. The mask, for example, is going to be from VSS or similar, so although not from the period, it will look reasonably like it is. I also picked up a pair of US Divers full footed swim fins that look like the old 75 era full footed swim fin, though are more modern. I'd like everything that isn't period correct to at least look basically like it is in terms of appearance. I just don't want to dive any gear that is so old that it borders on being in disrepair. My plastic tank pack, for example, is rigged with modern 2" nylon webbing like a typical hog harness. Most of the plastic tank pack setups I've seen had what looked like 1" webbing, but I figured it was easier to find buckles, rings, and such for 2" so I went with that. Is that more eclectic than vintage?

The Al tanks made prior to 1990 were of an alloy that was allegedly prone to cracking in the neck. Many tanks of this alloy were traded in and replaced. Also many LDS will NOT fill the pre-1990 Al tanks. Also for that matter some LDS won't fill 72s either, however they are in the minority. As for the plastic packpacs; by the 1970s any company selling them was using 2" nylon for the webbing. Some used softer material, others used weight belt type. I have no idea what HOG is so I won't comment on that. There are some really nice, very usable items available, just ask at the right places. You do not have to use old, worn items. You can use old, perfectly great items to complete your vintage thoughts. Or, you can use modern reproductions to achieve the same goal. The ultimate choice goes back to my original question. Vintage or eclectic? [Def. 1. Selecting from various sources. 2. Composed of selections from various sources] Or mixing time periods. Basically, like, Goodyear tires on a Conestoga wagon or 10X scope on a Brown Bess musket. As you can tell, I am more of a purist when it comes to vintage. Be it scuba or living history.

It old steel 72 is the preferred tank. About -4.5 full and 0 to +/- 1 empty. I can dive one with no suit and no weights in fresh water and 2 or 3 pounds in salt. The AL 80 is way to buoyant.

This is exactly what I needed captain, thanks!

S

The Al tanks made prior to 1990 were of an alloy that was allegedly prone to cracking in the neck. Many tanks of this alloy were traded in and replaced. Also many LDS will NOT fill the pre-1990 Al tanks. Also for that matter some LDS won't fill 72s either, however they are in the minority. As for the plastic packpacs; by the 1970s any company selling them was using 2" nylon for the webbing. Some used softer material, others used weight belt type. I have no idea what HOG is so I won't comment on that. There are some really nice, very usable items available, just ask at the right places. You do not have to use old, worn items. You can use old, perfectly great items to complete your vintage thoughts. Or, you can use modern reproductions to achieve the same goal. The ultimate choice goes back to my original question. Vintage or eclectic? [Def. 1. Selecting from various sources. 2. Composed of selections from various sources] Or mixing time periods. Basically, like, Goodyear tires on a Conestoga wagon or 10X scope on a Brown Bess musket. As you can tell, I am more of a purist when it comes to vintage. Be it scuba or living history.

Simon,

I think by your definitions that I am looking for a truly vintage setup. I am probably going to purchase a repro mask and snorkel, but they look period correct. I also ordered some US Divers all rubber full footed fins that look like the 70's era swim fins, though not red/white/blue. So I am not planning on using any modern equipment with this setup, or at least not any that looks modern. I want this to look as authentic as possible.

Hi all,

I got my Conshelf VI in the mail today. Both the first and second stages look immaculate, it literally looks like it has never been in water. The writing on the low pressure hose is still perfectly readable and everything.

Having said that...stupid question time.

I've only ever dove newer first and second stage regulators. On newer regs the HP port and LP port are two different sizes (3/8" and 7/16" IIRC). On this first stage, there are only two ports, one LP and one HP. Which one is which? They are both the same size (looks like 3/8").

Hi all,

I got my Conshelf VI in the mail today. Both the first and second stages look immaculate, it literally looks like it has never been in water. The writing on the low pressure hose is still perfectly readable and everything.

Having said that...stupid question time.

I've only ever dove newer first and second stage regulators. On newer regs the HP port and LP port are two different sizes (3/8" and 7/16" IIRC). On this first stage, there are only two ports, one LP and one HP. Which one is which? They are both the same size (looks like 3/8").

I have a newer Conshelf XIV. It has 3 lp and 1 hp port. All the same size. On it, there is a small HP stamped into the metal next to the high pressure port. I had to get an adapter for my SPG hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom