Aqualung Mistral Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Luis and Nemrod... I wouldn't trade my vintage Royal Aqua Master for anything...hands down its far better than my new Scubapro MK17 S550 or any other single hose reg I've tried. Aqualung screwed the pooch with the new Mistral...there is a market out there for good quality double hose regs its just not the new Mistral.

Nemrod:
Then I found two yellow reproduction mouthpieces and bought them and then Stuart from England made some yellow hoses but I missed out and then recently he began making his high quality exact reproduction hoses in silicone but the mold was damaged and is being repaired. That set pictured there was his only yellow silicone set until the mold is repaired--soon --I certainly hope. So, after so many years, my Mistreal looks like it did when it was given to me except it is all new and ready to go and go it does, especially with it's brand new silicone main diaphram--sweet!!!!!! Thanks Stuart, vdh, vss and others.
I bought a couple sets of yellow hoses and a set of black hoses along with black and yellow mouthpieces from Stuart a few years ago. The yellow hoses are pictured on the 1958 vintage West Pico labeled Mistral in my avtar before the yellow mouthpieces arrived. - Like the DA Aquamaster they had yellow hoses and mouthpieces in '58 and yellow hoses with a black mouthpiece in 1959.

In addition to my yellow on yellow Mistral, I also set up my two non serial numbered West Pico labled DA Aquamasters as 1958 (yellow hoses and yellow mouthpiece) and 1959 (yellow hoses and black mouth piece) models. The yellow hose/black mouth piece/black nylon hose clamp configuration is in my opinion classically good looking.

I have a later 1962 or 1963 vintage DA Aquamaster that I set up with the correct black hoses and the curved black Kleer-EZ mouthpiece.

Unfortunately, I am back to being short on hoses as I recently aquired a West Pico labeled 56-58 Vintage DA Navy Approved that is also in need of period correct hoses and mouthpiece.

Out of all of them, I prefer the Mistral for it's breathing traits, although as stated above it is a fairly noisy breathing regulator - kinda like a Sea Hunt soundtrack without the cheesy music.

The great thing about double hose ownership now as opposed to 10 years ago is that parts availability is actually much better due to the increasing number of reproduction parts that are available.

I just received my new "Vintage" Mistral this week. It's soaking in cleaning solution as this is being posted. This one will be a twin to my DA, both 58 models without the serial number. I'm waiting on yellow hoses from VSS and/or Stuart. When I get them, I'll have the mistral all yellow & the DA with yellow hoses and black mouthpiece.

This will probably be my last vintage double hose. I'm not a collector (despite what my wife thinks). I buy them for diving, and they all work. My others include 2 Royal Aquamasters, a Phoenix, and a Snark III Super. Ok, I guess 6 might qualify as a small collection, and I would take a Voit if I could find one I could afford.

I'm not going to buy a modern Mistral mainly because my limited experience was not good. It might be that it only needed to be tuned up before diving, but shouldn't a new regulator come from the factory ready to dive? It was my worst 20 minutes under water ever, but that's another story.

Yes, I don't regard myself as a collector either - I just seem to have a lot of them. They all work well, although I tend to dive with the Mistral. That may change however once the Phoenix parts and silcone diaphragm arrive and I upgrade one of my DA's (probably the '62). The compatibility and convenience of the LP and HP ports will mean it will probably get used for a lot more of the non technical diving while the Mistral will continue to be the reg of choice for vintage dives.

I just installed the silicone diaphragm on my unmodified round-lable Royal. It was already a great breather, now its phenominal.

Those new silicone diaphrams are really great. I've got 3 now, including the 1 for my new mistral. I'm sure I'll eventually have 1 for each reg, along with the band clamps. I hate using those clips.

Not currently available but vss had some silicone cage valves a while back. I bought a couple of sets and I actually found a couple of NOS siliconesets. No USD logo on them but whatever they were and wherever they came from they fit perfect. The silicone cage valves make a noticeable difference in breathing effort over the currently available valves. They work just fine, even better than NOS but the silicone is just way better. Equipped with silicone cage valves and silicone main diaphram and careful tuning you will be rewarded with a regulator that performs equal to or exceeds any modern regulator.

Clips will eventually ruin your regulator cans, get a clamp.

I am not a collector, all of my stuff gets used and I bought it to use and some of it is original to me. I do have my wish list for a few items--lol--but when I find them I will use them.

N

I have 2 double hoses that I do not use out of my 7... a DA that I want to send to powder coating, and a blue Voit 50 Fathom that I am restoring.

With the exception of the Pheonix, all my double hose regs I try to use with the authentic accessories (harness, UDT fins, ect). Basically I use my Pheonix for my friends who want the Double Hose Experience.

Nemrod:
Clips will eventually ruin your regulator cans, get a clamp.
N

Plus bands improve the looks. The clips scar the edges of the can, and the bands give it a nice clean look. I guess the purist won't like it, and I have bands for all my regs except 1(I didn't make that very clear on my last post). I mainly kept that 1 true vintage, but I think I'll convert it to a clamp with my next order for parts.

I just finished putting the mistral back together. That was really easy. I think I'll try & go to the pool tomorrow to give it a try.

Arghhh.....
Just splurged on silicone diaphragms for my Mistral (also an unserialized W Pico. No yellow but I at least put a repro straight MP on it), and for my round label Aquamaster that I bought new in 1973. Next thing I knew I ordered a Phoenix for it. The Royal doesn't need it.
Got the Mrs to witness the release without too many questions. My square DA will remain stock except for the clamp ring.

Back
Top Bottom