Aqualung Mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, many of us has seen it. I'm sure its nice but I hear the Retail Price will be $900 and only 500 pcs are scheduled to be released.

I personally prefer the looks and historical significance of the 'original' Aqua Master's myself and think the old chrome Aqua Masters are much nicer looking...but hey, thats IMO!

My first demand valve in 1967 was a Royal Mistral twin hose d/v. At the time it was the best d/v on the market, the cutting edge. I traded it in for my first new fangled single hose d/v. I wish I hadn't. looking back it was a brilliant piece of kit. The hoses were very soft and flexible and the mouthpiece was offset so that the bulk of it rested on your chin. Very comfortable. I look forward to trying out the modern Mistral.

I checked with my local Aqua Lung Dealer, since the shop I work for does not carry that line. They will order me a Mistral for only $990.00.....Ouch
I still want one, but will surely have to save up for this one. Anyone seen any better prices in the US?
Turtleguy

Turtleguy:
I checked with my local Aqua Lung Dealer, since the shop I work for does not carry that line. They will order me a Mistral for only $990.00.....Ouch
I still want one, but will surely have to save up for this one. Anyone seen any better prices in the US?
Turtleguy

Wow that is higher then iv heard. Most people are saying they can get it for about $900....not sure where though

I just ordered one here in the States, for quite a bit less than $990.00, but they only have one left that's not spoken for. Drop me a note.

Thom
PADI MI 1244
NAUI 5036

This is a cool reg, but will probably only be of interest to people looking for that nostalgic look or photographers who want to get rid of the bubbles from in front of their face.

I ordered one at my dealer meeting in January. It's due here sometime this month. As to seeing a "better" price on it. Forget it. These are limted production units. They made 500 of them. From what I saw in the one i handled this thing is cool. After i get mine and dive it i will post some comments.

Regards,

I have one on order here, but a buddy of mine, who's returning from the big sandbox, picked one up for me in Spain. $610.00 US. It seems that they're being manufactured in France, and being shipped to California for distribution by Aqualung US.

I do think there's some confusion about the number available. What I understand is that there is the collectors edition, limited to 500 units, wooden case, special numbering etc., and the production model which will be produced just like any other reg, and available when production meets demand.

I should have mine by Monday, and I'm leaving to do some U/W filming in the Caribbean on April first. I'll post here and let you know how it performs when I get back.

Anyone who likes old twin hose regs will probably be disappointed.
The plastic on the Mistral doesn't come close to the old metal regs.
It actually looks and feels very cheap ... not at all like a $900 reg!
Even the mouthpiece doesn't come close to the cheapest rebreather DSVs,
much less the more expensive ones (either machined or molded composite).

ScoobieDooo:
I'm also curious how they made the 2nd stage and how well these are gonna breathe. My guess is perhaps since they put the diaphragm in the newly-designed 2nd stage in the mouthpiece (I hope) - that it should breathe fairly well.
The second stage is in the back, below the first. On the picture you can actually see the low pressure hose coming from the first stage that supplies the gas.

The WOB does indeed include both inhalation and exhalation effort, and on this regulator, like on rebreathers, the mushroom valves in the mouthpiece play a large role. If they're stiff they seal well but breathe hard, if they're soft they breathe better but may allow gas to move the wrong way.

Aside from the WOB, with the second stage on your back hydrostatic differences (relation of lungs and 2nd stage in the water columm) will play into it. There'll be a "sweet spot" for breathing the Mistral.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but a friend just took one out diving and was pretty disappointed in the breathing performance. She had high hopes as she shoots a lot UW. When I get my hands on that reg I'll report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom