Aqualung Mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one in my hands and in terms of workmanship, I find this regulator to be on par with anything out there. In 40+ years of diving, its as good, or bad as the diver who's using it.

In my training, you had to breath off the valve of a tank, assuming your reg failed. Even then, I thought that was pretty stupid. That's not a gee whiz issue, just a reality. My point is simply, that to dive, you must be able to breathe.

If you want one of these, fine, get one. If not, that's O.K. too. But to cruise here and to speculate on this and that, and to throw spec's around, maybe its time to get a real life. Diving is either a business, and if that's the case, you wouldn't be here discussing this particular regulator, or a sport, in which case, you probaly want to look cool, and more than likely, shouldn't be here either.

The Mistral is a nitch piece of equipment. Photo people, like me are excited. Tech people are comparing it to rebreathers, and Mike Nelson fans are saying, "damn, that's cool".

Sixty years ago, shortly before my birthday, Gagnan, and Cousteau took a medical gas regulator, and invented, what we know as today SCUBA. Since that time, refinements have been made to that apparatus, but the basic function is still there. Except in today's corporate world, things, ie regulators, tanks, wetsuits, BCD's are not the same. A name, makes them superior. Ford, Chevy, Mazda, Honda, etc.

For all you out there that believe there is some fundamental difference in the mechanics of a regulator, then by all means, state your case. Unsafe equipment needs to be identified, However, for the average sport diver who happens to come to this board, the confusion the "experts" cause here, seems to be unjustified.

The issue here is simply an Aqualung release of a double hosed regulator with at Titan first stage. Why they did it, I really don't care. Will it change the way divers dive, no! Will some people buy it, yes they will. (remember the Edsel). So why not just let the market forces do their thing?

I saw one of the yesterday at the Beneath the Sea expo in northern NJ and it is very cool but no more retro a modern rebreather. Basically they've customized the second stage housing to accomodate the twin hoses and literally hung it off of the first stage. So simple I'm surprised not creative photo fanatic hasn't come up with it Anyone motivated by nostalgia should go for the antiques.

Also in the can't believe it wasn't done sooner is the -- i don't need no stinking dust cap -- first stage on the new Oceanic Delta IV. It's just a little oval seal that seats against the first stage inlet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom