Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel as though making divers use their gear would open them up to liability (despite people signing waivers) because any gear malfunctions could be negligence, or something. But i'm not a law student, so I don't really know.
My understanding is that it's mostly done this way due to the contamination issue -- in an enclosed environment like an aquarium tank the introduction of certain parasites and bacteria hiding inside your gear could have a devastating affect on the tank's population. Even within a single aquarium there are decontamination procedures used when the staff uses the same gear in more than one tank.

I want to do the Epcot dive next time I'm down. You don't need to buy a Disney entrance pass.

I want to do it to freak out and have fun with the visiting tourists! Play # Tic-Tac-Toe with a kid. Lick the...no, I won't do that! :rofl3:

Blowing O bubble rings - oh yeah! We need a scuba smiley that does O bubbles...

(not me!)

ajh-bubble-ring.gif

My wife and some friends did the Atlanta aquarium last year. The only equipment they were allowed to use was their own mask. All other equipment belonged to them. I'm wasn't sure aquarium diving would be my thing so I didn't dive but watched them from the other side. All in all they really enjoyed it and said they would do it again. I think the dive was around 30 to 40 minutes.

If you can get a group of eight folks I think they give you a price break.

The majority of my diving is less than 20 feet, and an AL80 lasts about 90 minutes. Still not quite getting the 240 minutes though.
Lp121s charged to 4000 maybe? :eyebrow:

The Disney aquarium in Epcot is 150$ per person, one tank.
Lasts a minimum of 4 hours.

They give you a backstage tour, a safety check that you know your stuff. Padi OW minimum cert.

Bonus, you get to interact with the guests on the other side of the glass.

Minus, you *cannot* use your own gear, not even your own mask.

I did this dive less than two weeks ago, and would like to ask you where you got your information...

This link will verify most of the facts that I am about to state. The rest, you may assume, is my humble opinion...

Epcot DiveQuest | Walt Disney World Resort

The Epcot aquarium dive is actually set up as a NAUI program, and open water certification is the minimum certification level. PADI OW being the "minimum" in that category is a subject I will not address further for now because I do not have any animosity against any particular certifying agency.

The entire "experience" lasted approximately three hours by the time we took the tour, attended the briefing and signed waivers, suited up, dove, and then showered afterwards. We met up at about 4:30pm and were on our way to dinner by about 7:45pm.

The dive itself consisted of 40 minutes in the water. The staff was standing by to replace anyone's single tank who ran low on air in order to let them finish their dive. No one in our group needed another tank.

We were allowed to use our own masks and dive watches.

All things considered, it was a great time. Their gear was in good shape, and well-maintained. The staff there were super-friendly and had everything set up to run very efficiently. The aquarium was about 25'deep, a little over 200' across, and had plenty of critters to look at on both sides of the glass. It was the first time I have been able to get my wife to dive with me in almost two years, so for me it was definitely worth what they charged.

Last edited:
I did this dive less than two weeks ago, and would like to ask you where you got your information...

Quoted from memory, and talking with one of the divers there, he gave us a pamphlet. We were doing the "Disney" tour at the time. We almost did it. The "4 hours" was from park entrance to exit, the recommended time allowance.

How about the experience before diving? Locker room, backstage tour, etc?

When I next go to the Orlando area I'm considering doing the Epcot Aquarium instead of a boat ride on the ocean.

Interesting. Can't tell from the link (unless I am missing it), but is the Epcot one that you can do even if you are not paying to be at Disney World at the time?

I did Epcot many years ago before there was a "program." I used all my own gear (I guess a rare guest posed less problem than a bunch of people every day). Some of it was kinda strange, and it make you part of the show. The had a simulated entry lock. You entered a clear tube that you cold see was open above. They shout the tube (not the top) and then flooded it with water. You surfaced in the tube, got out of the water, shuffled across the deck to the tank and then got in.

Interesting. Can't tell from the link (unless I am missing it), but is the Epcot one that you can do even if you are not paying to be at Disney World at the time?

Edit: I'm sure the price was 150$ last year...it's 175$ now.

Correct, because they pick you up at the gate, and return you, you don't pay the entrance fee. So if you're already at Disney doing Disney (as was our case - five day pass) we didn't want to lose half a day and pay 450$ for the three of use (plus FL taxes).

However, when we go back for Universal Studios, this detour back to Epcot would be great. Plus, other than diving in springs, there isn't much diving on the sea side of Orlando that is "cheap". IOW, you have to take a charter, so the price difference wouldn't be that much more to dive at Epcot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom