AquaScooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hello spray

can you tell me the price of the tiger

and does it work with gas?

and how fast does it run, how much horse power?

thanke you

The Tyger Ray is battery operated. I have used it for nearly an hour a couple of times and it still had power left.

They measure them with thrust not horsepower. It has 48 lbs of thrust. I have used it to tow 2 divers and it does pretty good.

I have no way to measure under water speed, but I would compare it to a medium to strong swim speed. If you fin lightly while using it, you can cruise at a very brisk speed.

Check out the website: http://www.seasense.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/web2001/cayman/about_index.html

Edit: Sorry I forgot price. I sell them for $365 plus shipping which is around $30.

AquaScooter.

I have been using an AquaScooter for a few years now. As a tow vehicle to reach dive sites this unit cant be beat. Pulls me completely rigged at over 5 mph, it has been very reliable. Not sure what Uncle Pugs problem was as I have never had any problems starting mine. Noisy??? Hmmm, mine sounds like a sewing machine in the water??? Smelly....Well, ya...If you stick your nose in the gas tank! I believe www.aquascooterusa.com has them on sale at this time...
I'm happy with mine!

I have used/tested both units.. (well, the SeaDoo SeaScooter Died the second weekend)..

1st, Claims of depth.. SeaScooter (they bought the right to use the name SeaDoo) was 35 ft.. then 80 then then 65. I actually emailed Sharper Image to get them to commit to a depth before I bought one.. Everywhere I looked was different. (Just as much difficulty deciding on a name it seems.. I have seen the same unit called 4 different names..) I even saw it in Australia called AquaSub which is the name of the 1st generation technology 24 volt predecessor to the Tyger Ray, which was too heavy so it is being redesigned.

We got 1 SeaScooter, 2 Tyger Rays and hit the beach. Everybody tried them while snorkeling. Adults and kids.
The next day we went to play on the river in freshwater (this is where the SeaScooter died and was never resurrected...) I never got to try the SeaScooter in a "gear" dive, just snorkeling. But I saw them at the DEMA show in Vegas with gear on and they were kicking in the pool to move. (not a good sign..)

The SeaScooter was VERY manuverable and light. It turns on a dime. If you are a little kid it would be a BLAST in a pool or for snorkeling. But for an adult or with SCUBA gear, it IS A JOKE! The unit is made of thin plastic and an ultra wimpy motor with plastic gears. It has unsealed circuitry etc.. (I ripped it apart.) So much for taking it back to Sharper Image for a refund... I could not get all the gears back together right! It sounds lke rocks in a blender (but this noise is reduced when in the water greatly.) The switch system is nice and the it looks really cool...

The Tyger Ray litterally ran circles around the SeaScooter.. (We had races...) It is quite a bit heavier but not unreasonable for the added power. Besides, the Tyger Ray is built much better out of a MUCH thicker body material and has all sealed circuitry.

We took 2 Tyger Ray units diving last weekend in Ft. Lauderdale (shore dive in only 20 feet max.) HAD A BLAST!!!! It is not something I would take down every dive becuase I like the excercise of kicking. But for a fun change, it was great. We left the units stock (did not add weight) so at only 20' they still were slightly positive and wanted to ascend a little when we stopped for long periods of time. When we took them to Key Largo in 40 feet they did not do this. This actually worked to our advantage since the batteries only last about 50 minutes when pulling an 190lb guy with full scuba gear. Since our dives in Lauderdale are typically 100 minutes you can either grab the front and ride with it while kicking which was not much effort, or do like we did and send it to the surface. I tied the handle to the dive flag rope and toted them along.

HOWEVER... Next time, I am going to ride it while snorkeling out to the 3rd reef (a long way) tie it to the flag and kick dive, saving the battery for the ride back..This will save us a long boring kick to and from the good spots and make life that much sweeter It is great for boat dives too.

We rode alongside a huge turtle and he was not scared. It does not scare fish at all, infact, it seems to attract them because of the draft made by the unit. Fish will ride on the top of the unit so close you can bite them.

What I do not like about the Tyger Ray..
1. The Magnetic glove.. A safety feature but wish there was a switch instead.. You get used to it though. No biggy..
2. If there were strong currents it would be a little slow. It was perfect for good conditions. It is NOT built for speed. It was just slightly faster than my buddies who were kicking.. In fact, that was annoying for the 2 riders to wait for the 2 kickers all the time.. But with current it would slow it down quite a bit.. BUT, when you kick and ride, you can haul A$$!

It is not a $2500 DPV and therefore does not have the features of a $2500 DPV.. But it is a lot of fun and a great tool for snorkelers and rec. divers. Besides, we can outfit our entire group for the price of one high end unit and have just as much fun.

FYI- (NOT A GREAT SURFACE ONLY UNIT) it is made to dive underwater... The whole unit has to be underwater or it will cavitate (suck air from the surface into the prop.)

I would have to retest them in cold water, high current conditions to be able to recommend them for everyone, but for here, we love them. (I dont dive cold / high current waters anyway..) I have not personally taken any unit passed 60 feet. Will try that in the next few weeks if possible.

You can find them at: Hammacher Schlemmer, Front Gate, Bass Pro, Overtons etc..

Here is a pic of the motor comparison.
http://www.unifiedmarine.com/web2001/cayman/TR-SeaScooter-Motor_SM.jpg

The end recap.. The Marketing, pool toy and cool looks award goes to SeaScooter, but for a few bucks more, the Tyger Ray is for real.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom