Are BC dumps really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm:
Knock it off you guys, you made me cry like a baby by making fun of me(my) polls!!

Didn't anyone tell you its the motion of the ocean not the.....errrr....never mind. :D

The inflation tube is fine if you're vertical. If you're horizontal, it requires some shifting to get to air up to it to dump. Much easier to reach back to my rear dump.

Comrade Stroke - FD

Every BC needs one Over Pressure Valve. It keeps the bag from bursting. If you have a means to power inflate there is a real risk of popping the BC without an OPV. More than one is unnecessary.

You don't see OPV's on oral inflate only devices such as a safety sausage, because it's pretty hard to pop one with just your lungs.

Tobin

I'd be lost without my back dump.

Pete

If the question is the rapid exhaust/pull dump at the top of the corrugated inflator hose they aren't needed and is just another problem waiting to happen. As most have said the rear dump should get the most use if you're diving horizontal.

Rear dumps seem particularly useful if for whatever reason, your bouyancy has gotten away from you and you are now over-bouyant. You can then simply swim on a slightly downward angle and adjust your bouyancy using the rear dump.

Bottom dump gets 90%+ use for me, if i do need a top dump my wing has a pull dump on the right hand side.

I very rarely if ever use the press button hose dump and no way am i using the hose pull - seen too many detach/snap.

Just as in nature, we all need a dump valve, and it should be at the bottom (below the bladder). :wink:

H2Andy made me say that.

If you have proper trim it's easier to use a bottom dump than anything else.

-Ben

I read a comment of BSAC (?) when I googled bc dump valve... a british member said that he and his diving buddies cut the cord off their dump valves as ?? something to do with their being caught in the open position??

He claimed that he has more control over how much air is vented off by using the corrugated inflator hose... thus has better control of his ascent ??

In the confined environment (which I dont' do) do cave and wreck divers find the dump valve more functional than the corrugator hose??

Back
Top Bottom