Are divers not paying enough attention to some safety aspects?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I've never considered any boat I've been on to be a "bad boat". I was on a boat that ran aground one time due to the captain cutting the channel and trying to shave travel time. Still, when I factor in other dives on that boat I think I would use them again. He certainly took the brunt of that mistake, between having a boat stuck, mangled prop, fine from the sherriff, lost income due to refunds and repair time... Perhaps I'm too forgiving.

Wonder how many boats do a roll call vs. count heads? Anyone? Anyone?

Every large (bigger than a six pack) boat I've ever dove from did roll call.

Every single dive op I dive with physically check that they have the right divers on board - either by roll call or by facial recognition :wink:
Then again, I dont usually dive in the caribbean with the lowest price op I can possibly find..

Roll call is not sufficient. Buddies answer for each other. Husbands answer for wives. You must look every diver in the eye, through the head door isn't enough.

When I tried to argue the point, I was told that most divers just don't care...

I suppose that it's not a matter of whether the diver cares or not. Like in any business, the operator will possess various degrees of professionalism. Some will try to get by with the least amount of safety by way of procedure or equipment in the effort to maximize profits; while others will not.

It can come down to a matter of civil litigation and the operator will be required to answer if they provided a reasonable level of safety for their Clients. Liability is assessed by act (what was done) or omission (what was not done that was reasonable to do). Unfortunately, some loss to life, injury or property has to be first suffered.

I've testified as an expert witness in various court cases and in many cases, the operator was found liable for not providing those reasonable necessities (such as O2, certified O2 Provider and qualified DM). The operator has a fiduciary responsibility to their Clients. How this is interpreted will of course depend upon the jurisdiction.

Like diver certification, there are operators who teach as little as possible. This minimalistic viewpoint runs rampant in many aspects of Society. The Dollar rules everything. Most consumers want to spend as little as possible and the term value often has little meaning.

Despite this, there are still those that refrain from teaching minimal training courses and operators (which I suspect that you are among them) that provide professional services of superior quality to their Clients. Unfortunately there are some Clients that this will be wasted on, but it is at least recognized by those who provide those services and have a professional pride in their efforts.

Roll call is not sufficient. Buddies answer for each other. Husbands answer for wives. You must look every diver in the eye, through the head door isn't enough.
None of the boats that I have dived with allow anyone to answer in someones place, and everyone is told this in the briefing. Is it 100% preventable, probably not, but the dm eyeballs each person that shouts here to ensure that one person isn't answering for others. The roll call does take a couple of extra minutes but is well worth the delay in my opinion.

Ahhhh, nahh, safety is way over rated.

N

I've been on a boat that did a simple head count & they tried to leave without my husband & one other guy. They were snorkeling while waiting on divers to come in . Crew miscounted & were ready to pull out. I had to really argue that Mike wasn't there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was hard for me to phrase what I'd like to discuss here in the topic sentence.
a discussion about many of the safety aspects that divers and dive centres look at and some we may be overlooking a bit. This has been prompted by the recent events of divers lost at sea and the aim is to look at how we choose and evaluate a boat and its crew..

Maybe the question is: "as divers, what should we be attentive to when deciding on whether to choose a dive boat?" And, "once we make a choice and show up, what should we look for / expect to hear about in the briefing?"

I know I could probably stand to be more informed.

- Bill

I have never been in a boat where a roll call was conducted. I assume head count is being done. When travel diving off boats I always count the group I dive with before, during and after the dive.

I have never been in a boat where a roll call was conducted. I assume head count is being done. When travel diving off boats I always count the group I dive with before, during and after the dive.
Problem with counting is that the numbers might be right, but are you sure you have the CORRECT 11 people back on board?
I've seen people board the wrong boat more than once on busy sites. Mostly on moored sites though, but I HAVE seen it a couple of times on drifts as well..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom