Are dry suits worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you mind putting pictures of your cheap high top Converse? I had one as a kid and I was crazy about them, indestructible, only changed them after outgrowing them.

They are just regular ole high top Converse. If you have seen one pair you have seen them all. He was saying cheap as in comparison to "dive specific" rock boots.

chucks.jpg

SEAC make nice converse type dry boot. I went for it as i didnt have to change fins to use them.

They are just regular ole high top Converse. If you have seen one pair you have seen them all. He was saying cheap as in comparison to "dive specific" rock boots.

View attachment 380697
From 1969: "If your sneakers slip and slide, get the ones with the star on the side". Ah, the old JHS basketball team days...

Would you mind putting pictures of your cheap high top Converse? I had one as a kid and I was crazy about them, indestructible, only changed them after outgrowing them.

My shoes before a dive

Attachments

• 20160904_130851_HDR.jpg
    20160904_130851_HDR.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 82
I have a used typhoon neoprene off the shelf job. Never leaks never had to repair it and it only cost £250. Still looks mint and is easy to get in and out of. As for learning to use one its very easy.

Drysuits are a lot like girlfriends... to keep they require attention, care, time, and money. Sometimes more than you want to give.
But they're worth it all when they let you snuggle in and get warm.

image.jpeg
I picked up my custom USIA Techniflex today. I am pleased as punch. I don't know how they did it, but Mike and the crew at DRIS and USIA were able to get me my suit in a very fast turnaround time in order for me to have it in time for my OW dives tomorrow and Sunday. I'm also doing the DS specialty with OW. No more ill fitting rental. Mike said mine was the first purple trimmed suit they've seen. :D

I did end up having to get different fins due to rock boots, but no problem.

USIA's custom cut is only $150 over the stock size price, which is a bargain compared with the DUI prices.

DRIS rocks. And USIA ain't shabby either. Thanks, guys! :D

I christened it yesterday (although I didn't do any of my dives due to low viz which I did not like and being unable to get comfortable in the water.

Fits well, doesn't leak, etc.

ETA: got dive 1 done today. Was in the water for about 45 minutes total (some hanging around in shallows before we got started). No issues at all with suit. It's fabulous to get out of the water and just have wet hair, with no wrangling of a wet suit.

Someone was drooling over my seals today because I could easily change them out for dry gloves and change seals daily, too.

Last edited:
I dive solo frequently. I need a dry suit that can don and doff without help. I'm not too flexible considering a half ass rotator cuff repair but it works. Thinking hard about a Aqua Lung Fusion front zip oval or diagonal. Any suggestions appreciated

Try out one of those danged Fusions with their funky zipper before you buy one. I loathe that zipper placement with a passion. Much prefer diagonal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom