Are dry suits worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure how other brands work but Santi allows 4 size modifications of up to 5cm each (from the stock size) at no extra cost.

I will either have to get a custom suit or pay to have the sleeves lengthened.

Training is readily available and inexpensive, so I hadn't thought much about it. DUI has a local dealer here, and a pool, so I would probably ask them to include training when the time comes.

Size problems complicate my effort to find a used suit, and also make some of the less expensive dry suits less attractive, due to the cost and practicality of customization.

So goofy sizes usually lead to two things, either custom made-to-measure suits (typically $$$$$), or trashbag style suits like the Whites/Aqualung (bulky and awkward). I've got both, the Whites is my backup, but it's lightweight and good for travel, good for travel recreational trips. My made-to-measure is a Seaskin Nova. Made in the UK, very attractively priced, and excellent quality. You can get undergarments at the same time using the same measurements.

You can get a fully mtm barrier-type drysuit with all the bells and whistles for under a grand US from Seaskin. I don't know how expensive their neoprene suits are because I don't dive neoprene suits and don't like them so I never bothered. It's been more than durable enough on boats, in caves, really any environment I've used it in thus far.

The only thing I don't like about my Seaskin that I prefer on my old DUI is the telescoping torso. The Seaskin has more than enough length to do the same, but it sort of bunches instead of cleanly folds like the DUI-style torso. It's just a pet peeve, makes no difference whatsoever in use, donning, or doffing.

Not sure how other brands work but Santi allows 4 size modifications of up to 5cm each (from the stock size) at no extra cost.

That's what I got. Arms and legs shortened on a stock ML.

After diving with a drysuit I sold my 7mm, which I held onto as a back up. Now, I dive dry year around, including dry gloves. There are several up here that have never used a wetsuit in their life. Some have asked me if they need wetsuit cert to dive in the tropics.

Like anything else there is maintenance required. Take care of the suit and it will take care of you. We've had good luck with ScubaPro's Trilam drysuit and with Bare drysuits.

There's another thread about this, but if you are in the USA, it's a good time to import from Europe.

I like my 7mm wetsuit but realize that there are some dives for which it just isn't warm enough. I've been thinking of making a transition to dry suit diving at some point. Previous advice in these boards has been that I probably would be happiest with a DUI CF200x, a suit that will end up costing me over $4,000 all told including undergarment and accessories.

I've encountered so many stories -- both here and in chatting with divers in person -- of dry suit problems that I'm genuinely wondering if it's worth it. Poor fit. Leaks. Expensive repairs. Dives called because of a flooded suit or seal problem.

Now we have this thread which paints an image of the experience of dry suit ownership that is hardly flattering. While the various facts in that thread's narrative are specific to a particular manufacturer, suit, and situation, there are also comments indicating that there is a customer service and warranty service problem in the dry suit industry as a whole.

Has anyone had a mostly positive experience with a dry suit? Meaning, ordering a suit that arrives promptly and fits properly, works reliably for a reasonable number of dives, and then can be repaired at a reasonable price and with a reasonable turnaround time when necessary?

Or are dry suits just something where we have to put up with poor quality and poor service because the market is small and there are no alternatives?
I'm very happy with my HOG (USIA) drysuit. Custom cut, SiTec replaceable wrist and neck seals, two pockets, socks. <$1500 (and they're just a 50 minute drive down the road)

USIA has been making good dry suits for years. Their custom suits are well produced. HOG, others, are well placed to use a very good OEM.

There's another thread about this, but if you are in the USA, it's a good time to import from Europe.

The exchange rate isn't really that much different. Pre-Brexit the Pound was about $1.45, today its about $1.30

A big deal if you're talking millions or 10's of millions, for us poor folk not that much of a deal

Reactions: mdb
My first dry suit was one of the first Whites Fusions. I had a world of trouble with it. It kept getting holes, and there were a lot of problems with seals going bad. (There was a lot of discussion about this at the time.) I had it in for repairs as much as I had it in use. When I had it in for repairs, I used a nearly identical Whites Fusion as a loaner. I never had a single wet dive in the loaner.

Because I was having so much trouble with the original Fusion, Whites cut me a good deal on a replacement. I never had a wet dive with it.

For a number of reasons, though, I went to a Santi. The only times I have had a problem were caused by the fact that for some reason, when I pull the zipper shut, it catches a little just before it's fully closed. In that case, you know you have a problem the second you get in the water. It only took two times for me to figure out I had to be careful about closing the zipper. I have had no problems since.

I've owned 3 drysuits. Two DUI TLS 350s and one FLX. The FLX is really good.

Drysuits do require more maintenance, but I can't think of a single time that I've had to end a dive due to an issue with one. Not to say it doesn't happen. I think I've been witness to two instances in 15+ years of scuba of drysuit issues affecting the dive. If you take care of your equipment and buy quality they're not a problem. Leaks usually start as small pinholes and you'll notice a certain area being more damp than it should be after a dive (there's normal condensation). Zippers eventually wear out, but time between service can be lengthened by proper care and storage. Seals eventually wear out and deteriorate; plan on replacing every two years or so. Inflate valves get sticky and require disassembly, replacing/ cleaning orings and sealing surfaces, and exhaust valves eventually start to leak a little. Just replace it, its 60 bucks every 3 years-ish.

Imo a drysuit has the potential to change your diving more than anything else. Just gotta stay on top of them.

Back
Top Bottom