Are other dive boats as good as in So. Cal ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think there is a short trip boat anywhere that compares with the Peace. Bunks, snuggle-soft polarfleece blankets . . . and the food! Continental breakfast pre-dive; homemade soup after dive 1. Roasted Portabello mushrooms and herbed pork loin for "lunch". Warm, gooey brownie sundaes after the last dive. There's nothing anywhere like it. In Puget Sound, you get Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup and breadsticks, and you're grateful.

In Puget Sound, you get Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup and breadsticks, and you're grateful.
The boat I took to the San Juans had a pretty good stew actually, and hot chocolate! :cool:

The Peace Rocks! I have only done it as a multi day live aboard. I had no idea they brought along the chef on day trips! I will have to do the Peace next time if I just do day trips.

I've had good treatment on CA boats in general. I have only good things to say about Waterhorse Charters (San Diego) and The Great Escape (LA) as well.

The FL dive boats have water, soda, often fruit and cookies, but they do not compare to Peace.

Hands down, Peace is the best dive boat I have had the pleasure to dive from. I thank my daughter for talking me into going out on a day trip with them and now they are my first choice. Peace also has nitrox, for those who are interested.

By the way, I would ride any peice of crap to a good dive site and pay for it as well, if need be.

Bob
-------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I don't think there is a short trip boat anywhere that compares with the Peace. Bunks, snuggle-soft polarfleece blankets . . . and the food! Continental breakfast pre-dive; homemade soup after dive 1. Roasted Portabello mushrooms and herbed pork loin for "lunch". Warm, gooey brownie sundaes after the last dive. There's nothing anywhere like it. In Puget Sound, you get Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup and breadsticks, and you're grateful.

Gee, I got a nice BBQ pork sandwich and fresh-baked cookies aboard Pacific Adventures last Sunday ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The boats in So Cal are top rate in terms of amenities. The dive industry is rather mature there and caters more to locals in So Cal than tourist. Repeat customers appreciate the extra's (good food, dry bunks, beer on the way home). There is also a lot of competition between boats, any 2nd tier ops tend to die rather quickly.

This is why sometimes I scratch my head when some people look down on "cattle boats" (I.E. not a 6-pack/12 pack). The boats are big with lots of divers (20-35), this matches the sites they dive at which tend to be large and segmented by rock formations and kelp, this allows large groups to dive without being on top or in sight of each other. Other areas of the country might tend more towards a modest size wreck where divers tend to congregate in a small area and stir up the silt. Still good diving, but better done with smaller boats, which in turn reduces the amenities.

Any recommendations for dive boats from Long Beach, CA? It's a closer drive for me than all the way to Santa Barbara/Ventura.

Nitrox is rare.

This simply isn't true. The Sand Dollar and Pacific Star (likely others as well) provide partial pressure blending on the boat so you can dive whatever mix is most appropriate for the site. The Marissa in San Diego does Partial Pressure and will also mix Trimix with advanced notice. Waterhorse and others also do nitrox at their dock. Gas is, in my experience diving southern California, as abundant as the food.

Any recommendations for dive boats from Long Beach, CA? It's a closer drive for me than all the way to Santa Barbara/Ventura.
Have you asked on your local forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom