Are other dive boats as good as in So. Cal ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any recommendations for dive boats from Long Beach, CA? It's a closer drive for me than all the way to Santa Barbara/Ventura.

I like Sundiver. Like their Express for 3 tank day trips!

Doesn't say if boats are good or bad. No ratings or reviews given.

None of the boats are bad, as I said bad ones don't stay long since so many of the customers are local and word spreads fast unlike a tourist area where there is a constant supply of virgins. I have been on 6 different boats in So Cal in the past 3 years (at least 2x on each one) and pleased with all 6. There are differences and depending on what you are looking for in a boat. I can toss out my opinion on the boats I have been on in Long Beach / San Pedro, but that does not mean there are others that are just as good I have not discovered.

FYI San Pedro and Long Beach are the same driving distance from most places around LA. Essentially different sides of the same harbor.

SunDiver Diver Express - newish, fast ,clean boat to get you there and back quickly, HP fills, more weekday trips than most of the others are the positives for me. Food is mediocre and limited to sandwich type stuff and cans of soda/water. Not very comfortable to lounge (but the trip is fast, reducing the impact). One small head in the bow (a thrill ride if you use while underway). I use them a lot due to their schedule. They also supply tanks and weights.

Great Escape - the opposite, older, slow and big. The size in my view is a plus, its a huge boat with comfortable seating in the saloon, good food, bunks and cabins below. Very friendly captain and crew. You can board the night before to avoid the getting up early, watch a move on the wide screen and crash in a cabin waking up to the smell of a cooked to order breakfast at 7AM. You can purchase beer on the night before or on the ride home. There are 2 heads with showers on the deck, hot water hose to warm you up. Also a dedicated camera bench and large sun deck up to. Lots of room for gear. This all is great for me, the one issue is the big size reduces the boat speed. It about 1 hour longer to Catalina each way, so if you are in a hurry it might not be the one for you. Also a more limited schedule. They remain my first choice in Long Beach when our schedule mesh

Magician - The boat physically is newer and has a nice mix of features (bunks, decent grub, nitrox, etc..), my only issue it it tends to cater to the sports chalet mega-store and this drives the site locations to those suitable for OW students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom