Best diving vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed. I have air suspension helpers for mine that I have yet to install. Something always comes up.
The AWD version would help, but most I see stuck at the boat ramps are FWD. Plus they are only rated for I think 4500 or 5000 pound towing. After driving one towing, I think that is a highly exaggerated figure for daily towing.

The AWD version would help, but most I see stuck at the boat ramps are FWD. Plus they are only rated for I think 4500 or 5000 pound towing. After driving one towing, I think that is a highly exaggerated figure for daily towing.
IDK, if you get the rear up, you'd be OK I think. At least up to 4000 pounds. That's why I bought the air springs.

It depends on how big you want. The high roof transit van are awesome as dive vehicles but are really really poor for towing. I run a 2023 extended express 3500 cargo. I have an RV couch that folds into a bed. A fifteen CFM compressor, 6 oxygen and helium tanks, my dive gear, and whatever else I need. It daily tows a 6 ton dive boat.
All that said, it is a piece of crap compared to the rusted out Econoline 350 that it replaced. It is now the only option for towing with a van, but I would never in a million years recommend a chevy van over an econoline if you are shopping used.
A box truck or small bus would be ideal, but you can quickly run into parking issues in many areas.
Do you have any pictures of the build and or a build post on the site?

Hi @The Chairman

Whatever happened to the scuba wagon?
FWIW, Carmax said they'll give me 26,000 for it. It already has tank racks, a nice table, tool boxes and a charging station in need of some work. Any takers?

FWIW, Carmax said they'll give me 26,000 for it. It already has tank racks, a nice table, tool boxes and a charging station in need of some work. Any takers?
I do like the tank rack

It is beyond stout.
I do like the tank rack
I have a curtain up front that and with the table in the back, men can undress with impunity. Women need to face the curtain.

It is beyond stout.

I have a curtain up front that and with the table in the back, men can undress with impunity. Women need to face the curtain.
Do the tanks strap down or just set in the rack?

Do the tanks strap down or just set in the rack?
They just sit. There is a 3/4" plywood barrier in front of them that keeps them from flying forward. There is also a row of tanks that stand up that are indeed strapped down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom