Best Comprehensive Book on Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Utah has multiple LDS in every town. So why do I still have trouble getting tank fills?
Well I like our LDS, and our LDS's. I went into one trusty local dive shop one day to pick up my tank, and it hadn't actually been filled yet. Incorrect information on the phone. So the guy said they could get it done right then and there. We headed to the back with my tank, still chatting, so I followed him, and we had a nice talk while the tank filled. Except for when he had to take pauses to kick the part of the compressor that wasn't working well, to keep it going. That's living real, right there! None of that sickly corporate polish at all.

This book covers pretty much everything you need to know

I have always been fond of The Essentials of Deeper Sport Diving by John Lippmann, along with Technical Diving in Depth by Bruce R. Wienke.

Of the two, Lippmann is a bit more readable for a newcomer.

Sadly, knowledge of dive tables has fallen at a similar rate as those now capable of manual transmission use; though I had used tables for my first fourteen years or so of diving, before computers came along, and am still breathing -- though still prefer my 5-speed Toymotor . . .

Of the two, Lippmann is a bit more readable for a newcomer . . .
I have long said that many people did not disagree with Wienke because they really couldn't be sure what he actually said.

Dennis Graver's Scuba Diving is probably the most complete basic Open Water manual there is. No disrespect to the NAUI OW manual, but Graver's has more info and no agency BS marketing.
Though they had manuals when I was teaching for the YMCA and SEI, I never used them. Always used Graver's instead.

Dennis Graver's Scuba Diving is probably the most complete basic Open Water manual there is. ...
When the univ bookstore here could no longer source (even used) copies of "The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving, 6th Ed." in the late 1980's, the professor of the univ's NAUI/YMCA scuba course chose Dennis Graver's book as a replacement.

rx7diver

I have two books for you:

The NOAA Diving and Safety Standards Manual:

The Silent World, by Jacques Y. Cousteau.

I read The Silent World three times when I was a kid, and got enough knowledge to safely scuba dive before I could get certified.

I started diving in 1959, and got certified in 1963. The book we used for our certification in 1963 was The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving. There are four editions of this book on Amazon right now, including the old one (now expensive) that I learned on in 1963.

And, of course, there's the old standby, the U.S. Navy Diving Manual, Rev. 7, 01 December 2016.

SeaRat

Attachments

• LA County Certification001.jpg
    LA County Certification001.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 27
  • LA County Certification002.jpg
    LA County Certification002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 26
I read Wikipedia’s description of the various editions of the NOAA manual. Are there anything significant changes that would compel a rec diver to buy the 6th edition rather than download the 4th edition available here on SB?
Do not ever pay for US Gov documents. They are by law free. Download the latest of the NOAA website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom