Best Comprehensive Book on Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I echo SeaRat. For me the best comprehensive recreational book on Scuba instruction is The New Science Of Skin And Scuba Diving, it was published in six editions from about 1959 through 1986, although editions 3, 4 and 5 are my favorite and probably in the sweet spot before the agencies [PADI, NAUI, NASDS] had separate proprietary instruction manuals.

NOAA is great as well, if more geared to the scientific diver, and of course there is the US Navy Diving Manual [volume 1 is more open circuit scuba, volume 2 hardhat and closed circuit] a great military instruction manual.

PS - I learned on the 4th edition of The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving.

Surprised no one has mentioned The Tao of Survival Underwater by the late great Tom Mount D.Sc Ph.D.

I highly recommend looking into the SCUBA Compendium books by Simon Pridmore. Those will give you an excellent perspective on all levels of diving. The compendium includes four books: Scuba Fundamental, Scuba Confidential, Scuba Exceptional, and Scuba Professional.

They are available as a bundle or individually on Amazon as e-books here.

Surprised no one has mentioned The Tao of Survival Underwater by the late great Tom Mount D.Sc Ph.D.
I think this is geared more to the technical diver.

SeaRat

It's not really a textbook, but I highly recommend the book Under Pressure by Gareth Lock

It's an analysis of dive accidents and incidents using safety models from other industries, with the intent of demonstrating how you can improve your own diving practices.

The overwhelming majority of dive accidents have a factor of "human error" associated to it, and this book goes in-depth with what really caused the error, and ways to prevent it. It's well-written so it's a pretty easy read

Years ago, I was given a "library discard" copy of a late 1950s book on underwater hunting, which may have even been its title; but what I recall most clearly, was one of the dozen or so black and white photos in the book's middle, of a sea lion, with the caption underneath, "Don't shoot these!"

Keep in mind, that this was also around the time that the Cousteau team was launching actual harpoons at whales, in order to track them . . .

I have always been fond of The Essentials of Deeper Sport Diving by John Lippmann, along with Technical Diving in Depth by Bruce R. Wienke.

Of the two, Lippmann is a bit more readable for a newcomer.

Sadly, knowledge of dive tables has fallen at a similar rate as those now capable of manual transmission use; though I had used tables for my first fourteen years or so of diving, before computers came along, and am still breathing -- though still prefer my 5-speed Toymotor . . .
I learned on tables and a standard transmission. I ended up getting a standard transmission on my most recent car. The first month was not elegant. I knew the tables. I could use the tables. I understood the tables. I would never trust the tables like I trust the mechanical reliability of a DC. I might get bent on either, but I am certain it would be more likely trying to use tables.

I learned on The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving (4th ed.). It was just such an easy read. I was mightily saddened when I realized I had lost it.

It's not really a textbook, but I highly recommend the book Under Pressure by Gareth Lock

It's an analysis of dive accidents and incidents using safety models from other industries, with the intent of demonstrating how you can improve your own diving practices.

The overwhelming majority of dive accidents have a factor of "human error" associated to it, and this book goes in-depth with what really caused the error, and ways to prevent it. It's well-written so it's a pretty easy read
i like that kind of stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom