Are other dive boats as good as in So. Cal ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Magician is a great boat out of San Pedro and does Nitrox.

Yet I am a huge fan of the Spectre. Can't say enough fantastic things about Capt. Ted's tri-tip lunches, Shannon's dessert brownies and the hot tub! Caps off what is usually perfect diving while being helped by a really great crew of folks.

The Escape used to go out of Long Beach but they moved a while back and I honestly have no idea who goes out of Long Beach these days. I know who does, and they are to be found in the Regional CA forums. :D

1+ on Marissa Dive Charters. I did my AOW deep/wreck dives on their boat and had a really good experience. There were also a big group of tech divers with doubles and several divers were getting Nitrox fills.

I'm looking into their day trip to Coronado Islands with them for my daughter as those dives are rated for beginners.

Let's see, at the boat by 6 or 7 AM, off the dock by 7 or 8 at the latest, 1 to 3 hour ride, 1st dive (1 to 3 tanks if you are doing doubles & a Stage), 2 hour surface interval, 2nd dive w the same number of tanks as the first, 1 to 3 hour ride back to the dock. Back into the car between 3 and 5, then the drive back home...........

You hit the nail on the head for NJ Diving. That was all I have experienced in my 1st year of diving. My alarm goes off at 4 AM for the 90 minute drive to the shore. I get back right around 4 PM. Won't complain about the cold since I'm in a dry suit now.

On the 1st anniversary of my 1st dive, I spent a few days in South Florida. Shore was under a half hour from my lodging; meet at the boat at 8, tanks already loaded & ready to go. Depart at 8:30, at the 1st dive site around 8:45. Shorter dives, everyone's in single AL 80's, but with a surface interval of say 15 minutes to dive site #2, and that dive being an hour-long drift dive you only surface due to time, not air...

Did I mention this was the first time I was ever in remotely warm water. So little weight, such minimal gear (3mm shorty) - so easy to hoover just inches above the reef and maintain buoyancy & control. And the fish, the artificial wreck/reefs... Alarm at 7:15, back by noon. Simply can not complain...

I honestly don't know if I'll ever go out off the Jersey Shore again... Just save the money and take 4-day weekends down south. As much as I like the history of the wrecks up here, it's a "chore" to dive off-shore. Down in FL it was a breeze and much more enjoyable/fulfilling...

The Escape used to go out of Long Beach but they moved a while back and I honestly have no idea who goes out of Long Beach these days. I know who does, and they are to be found in the Regional CA forums. :D

They are now out of San Pedro which is literally next door to Long Beach. The new location is much nicer (no rowdy bar) and more importantly a bit closer to the harbor entrance which reduces the time to Catalina by at least 20 minutes.

That's it. I'm learning to dive in a drysuit and heading west... (In other words: Are you kidding? Those boats sound amazing!)

I've been on Sundiver and LOVED it! I try to dive with them every time I go to SoCal. Definetely different than my experience in FL, SC, and NC for sure!

Back
Top Bottom