Are PADI Specialties worth it?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really depends on the instructor.

For example, my PPB class consisted of my instructor putting weight on me, taking it back off, giving me a light and taking it back off . . . at the end of it, I was confused and hadn't learned much. On the other hand, the one my husband teaches includes going through a proper formal weight check and then playing with weight placement, to optimize horizontal trim. You go over the configuration of your own gear and how best to use it. You work on posture, and how changing the position of body parts affects your trim. You practice controlled descents and ascents, and holding accurate stops. It's still only what you can accomplish in two dives, but there's enough material there that the students seem to think it was worth doing.

Is there something you want to specialize in?

Like any scuba class the instructor's understanding and treatment of the topic are what brings value to the whole deal. Most of the topics are expansions of what you have already been exposed to so grand revelations are rare. The knowledge and understanding is going to come from your own hard work. Get some good books, be a ScubaBoard junkie and dive with some experienced divers who are the mentoring kind. Then just dive with a spirit of continuous improvement.

If you decide to go down some technical path like deep/deco then embark on a progression of classes with an agency that will get you there.

In any case make sure that the instructor is an actual practicing master of the topic. You don't want the guy that just took the class about teaching the course!

An endless array of agency classes is only one of the many options for continued learning.

Pete

They are pretty much experience dives with an instructor - that is all.

Agree with everyone above who have said that it all depends on the instructor.

Value is a hard thing to define. What something is worth depends upon what one person will pay. I sold a Rolex watch for $17K that I paid $500 for (over 20 years ago) and bought a new one for $7K. So was my old watch 'worth' $17K? I don't think so, but someone obviously did. So in the context of your question, only you can assess the value of the training you receive.

Looking back on my initial diving experience, I learned most of what you would learn on a training course by diving with experienced divers. If you want to learn X within the next few weeks and a specialty course is offered, you might consider taking it. Alternatively, you could join a dive club and just dive your brains out. Get comfortable and gradually increase the level of the dive by diving with someone who has that experience.

I've been instructing for over 40 years. My cave diving Instructor wasn't certified as such, but is recognized as a pioneer in cave diving. I don't know where the notion came from that you can only learn something from a certified Instructor. It's just not the case. Perhaps however, it is the easiest way to learn, but certainly not the only one. Good luck!

If you enjoy it and learn something from it, then it's worth it. I know divers who get a lot from taking courses and others (like me) who'd much rather learn on their own. Only you can decide if it's worth it for you.

It replaces a good friend who is expert in conveying the understanding of various subject matters and who will give you their undivided attention while you learn what is involved. Your good friend will, of course, have access to classroom aids as well. He will not give you a patch or charge you. These are not that hard to find, but very hard to gauge their qualifications beforehand.

Most divers who arrive in paradise need the instruction that is to be properly/correctly offered in Peak Performance Buoyancy.

Not everyone is a natural, but even fewer realize it.

If you are completly naive concerning all things diving, dont have any experienced dive buddys or feel uncomfortabe learning this on your own then by all means the extra training would be benifical and safer for you.
Some of the rest of us who like learning on our own, studing ,talking and diving with competent friends mixed with a large dose of "common sense" could care less about a pocket full of expensive certifications.

I only say this because a lot of us,myself included, started diving long before all these classes and certifications were available. We had no choice but to learn on our own and get help where we could find it. I am not knocking good training by a competent instructor if that is the best way for you just saying that I dont get caught up in having to have multiple cert cards to feel like I am a competent diver. Choose what you consider the best and safest route for you. There is no way on this forum or any other forum for anyone to tell you which way is best for you.

Are they worth it? If they are in an area that interests you, they certainly are, IF there is a quality instructor and IF you are invested in the class to get something out of it other than another c-card. Specialties that I think are good for anyone to take as they will grow you as a diver include navigation, deep diving, and peak performance buoyancy. Nitrox is important if you want to dive nitrox. Take classes as you feel the desire to either improve a skill area or add a skill/competence area. And the consensus about the quality of instructor correlating to the quality of the class is absolutely true.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks All!! Having a card or certification is not important to me. I just want to learn all that I can about the new sport and all that it emcompasses. Webinars, diving, reading books, diving, courses, diving, meeting new people, did i mention diving?!?!?..are all ways that I can comfortably take away new knowledge and I'm a smart enough person to put things together and know it takes practice to nail a new skill. I'm hoping that soon I'll find a dive club or two in my area and start going to their meetings to see what they are about. Mainly my end goal is to be the safest diver I can while getting the most fun and excitement out of each dive as possible.

Thanks All!! Having a card or certification is not important to me. I just want to learn all that I can about the new sport and all that it emcompasses. Webinars, diving, reading books, diving, courses, diving, meeting new people, did i mention diving?!?!?..are all ways that I can comfortably take away new knowledge and I'm a smart enough person to put things together and know it takes practice to nail a new skill. I'm hoping that soon I'll find a dive club or two in my area and start going to their meetings to see what they are about. Mainly my end goal is to be the safest diver I can while getting the most fun and excitement out of each dive as possible.

I am in much the same boat as you...newly certified and now with nitrox and AOW and drysuit courses.
After all these I feel like just the "basics" have been covered.

I am presently reading the GUE recreational course manual and plan on practice,practice,practice....

Course the winter weather is closing in, so open water practice is becoming more limited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom