Are prescription masks really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my husband has Rx mask, and had them do a bifocal on one side only. he loves it. i am now doing the same!! my mask should arrive to me any day now:)

Depends on your Rx.......ie are you hyperopic, myopic, or have astigmatism to go with your presbyopia???..If so, yes, if not: I am 55 with presbyopic emmetropia(ie need no Rx for distance, only for near)only---can still read my guages UW with no Rx....Remember, there are MANY ways to compensate for your problems ie skin a cat. Talk to your eye doctor would be my recommendation........good luck........

Talk to my eye doctor? Are you sure you aren't one I thought scuba language was going to be difficult. Anyway I guess I need to be more specific. When I got my prescrition I just took it to lenscrafters and now costco and gave them my precription. Then they made me my glasses and I tried them on and I could see. Therefore I never deciphered the terminology of the prescription. So now here goes: My prescription is as follows: Sphere R (+1.750) L(+2.000) Cylinder (R+.500) L(+.500) Not sure I am allowed to state this but, when I looked at the cost of a mask and presription lenses on scubatoys the price difference between that and just lenses in prescription dive masks was surprising. Thanks to all who responded!!!

Last edited:
Talk to my eye doctor? Are you sure you aren't one I thought scuba language was going to be difficult. Anyway I guess I need to be more specific. When I got my prescrition I just took it to lenscrafters and now costco and gave them my precription. Then they made me my glasses and I tried them on and I could see. Therefore I never deciphered the terminology of the prescription. So now here goes: My prescription is as follows: Sphere R (+1.750) L(+2.000) Cylinder (R+.500) L(+.500) Not sure I am allowed to state this but, when I looked at the cost of a mask and presription lenses on scubatoys the price difference between that and just lenses in prescription dive masks was surprising. Thanks to all who responded!!!

You have an astigmatism in both eyes apparently. This is a bit more complicated insofar as making a prescription mask than just a simple sphere correction.

(btw, you hit it on the head)....You have a ton of hyperopia & cylinder(astigmatism) @ 5.00 diopters in each eye(most people have less than 2.00 diopters).......You will pretty much need a correction for this ammetropia(presciption)....It can be corrected in contact lenses, although not easily-due to the astigmatism.....Probable best bet, try the Rx in a prescription mask-although there may be some distortion due to again the high astigmatism........good luck, again talk to an eye professional on this one(lots of astigmatism).....(As you can see, astigmatism can be a problem)

I would assume that with .5000 s/he actually means 0.5 not 5. It does mean though that noway will there be a drop-in lens available that will give her/him perfect correction. It will need to be an ordered job.

I would assume that with .5000 s/he actually means 0.5 not 5. It does mean though that noway will there be a drop-in lens available that will give her/him perfect correction. It will need to be an ordered job.

Yep, I misread that one COMPLETELY...lol, guess I need to see a good eye doc.......@ only a half diopter of cyl, he can go with the sphereoequivilant lens which means he can go with about +2.00 (OTC-drop-in lens-whatever they're called) for each eye.......Now if presbyopia(bifocals--ie over 40 Y.0.) comes into play, a bifocal may be needed, depends on his age...........A quick call to his doctor can save alot of time & worry----IMO--that's what I'd want my patients to do, get ALOT better advice vs. someone who does not know their head from a hole in the ground when it comes to Rxs ie someone @ a dive shop...............

With what the cost of my lenses were in the last set of glasses I bought ($750) before insurance for just the lenses!), contacts are a much cheaper option! I am nearsighted, need bifocals and have horrible astigmatism! Plus I am so blind that I would need to wear the mask from the moment I took off my glasses!

I was always pushed to get a prescription mask by the owner of my LDS, but I just knew that it wasn't a really wasn't an option for me!

Works for some, but not for me!

Just completed my first pool dive today. All went well and I am pleased to say I had no problems reading both a smallish computer with my PSI readings as well as reading my instructor's Sherwood Wisdom dive computer. I am a happy diver!!!

diving for over 10yrs and my hubby always said he could see ok with a mask... but.. on his first dive with a prescription mask i could hear him underwater yelling at me "i can see!!!"

hes has had it for a few months now and he still comments on what an improvement its made to his diving

down here we use OzBob Flash Page

Pretty much my experience too. I have bifocal prescription lenses. My photos are better too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom