Question Dive Mask with Prescription Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I need prescription lenses for a mask, but I am not sure which mask to get. I have had lenses in other masks but they were the big thick lenses and the mask was small for my face. Any suggestions?

Do you need a distance or close-up lens? If distance, then disposable contacts work well.
I did that for years. Now, I need close-up lenses instead, so I bought a mask with readers already installed. I've heard the lenses that you glue in yourself are prone to falling off.

I need prescription lenses for a mask, but I am not sure which mask to get. I have had lenses in other masks but they were the big thick lenses and the mask was small for my face. Any suggestions?

If you go through this thread, you will find your answer.

I have a custom bifocal mask from See the Sea. It's nice, well made but the bifocal line didn't play well with my camera's 45 deg viewfinder. I've now switch to a mono vision setup. Atomic Subframe mask with an off the shelf distance lens in my right eye and a close vision lens in the left. Less expensive, and I like it better than the bifocals.

I have a custom bifocal mask from See the Sea. It's nice, well made but the bifocal line didn't play well with my camera's 45 deg viewfinder. I've now switch to a mono vision setup. Atomic Subframe mask with an off the shelf distance lens in my right eye and a close vision lens in the left. Less expensive, and I like it better than the bifocals.

I previously had a bifocal prescription in my SeaVision mask, and when my prescription was updated to a progressive one, I just sent my mask back to SeaVision for them to do the same.

I use corrective lens. BUT, because I am at the age of needing both far and up close, the "little" close up items you can put at the bottom the mask suck. It has taken a few years and a few lens, but with my optometrist we have come up with the best solution. I am also an underwater photogarhper and seeing the image in the display is improtant. Best solustion is, one eye far away prescription and the other set for percription about 2-3 feet or a computer desk len. Then install them in a mask with two separate lens. I love this set up.

i have 2 masks with prescrition Lenses
i switched to contact lenses. cheaper and more flexibel with masks

Does anyone have an opinion on the masks with user replaceable lenses?

Buy a mask you like and that fits, send it to Custom Prescription Dive Masks along with your prescripotion, and they'll fit the correct lenses into your mask.
I sent my Atomic Venom to these folks with my prescription information about 6 years ago. Excellent service, communication, and product! I haven't had a single issue with them since, and I'm not exactly gentle on my equipment.

One thing I do notice with prescription lensing is that I need to polish and clean residue off the interior glass lenses about every 3 dives or I get tremendous fogging. Not a big deal: I just bring a couple microfiber eyeglass cleaning cloths with me, and go at them during my surface interval.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom