Are the wreckmaniacs finally dead!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smart lad! lessee, next weekend jason & i are going to lake rawlings. sept 17 or 24, a few of us are looking at going to wilmington. mel, bobby, gerry, or grier might be talked into bluestone at some point. where do you live? that would make it easier to know who to direct you towards.

I live in Apex. As you might have seen, I was thinking of diving the Indra next weekend, but will probably change plans to Rawlings just to meet a few of you. Probably make sense for me to go to Rawlings with my new gear before going ot the coast. Probably going to make purchases today. As for the Wilmington trip, I just got my OW so I probably would not be able to do that trip. If I am able to get my AOW before them, then I may very likely try to get in on that trip.

BabyDuck:
smart lad! lessee, next weekend jason & i are going to lake rawlings. sept 17 or 24, a few of us are looking at going to wilmington. mel, bobby, gerry, or grier might be talked into bluestone at some point. where do you live? that would make it easier to know who to direct you towards.

DuckDiver:
USAF,

Trip leaves at 3:00pm for two 30 min dives at the Indra. Cost is $55. Let me know if you are interested.

When I was out there a few weeks ago with Discovery Diving, they had 2 options for the Indra. 1 option was two 30 minute dives, and the other option was one 60 minute dive. Since this dive is so shallow (~60 fsw), I would recommend renting an AL100 for this dive, and just doing one long dive, rather than 2 shorter dives.

The dive tables allow for this kind of single-dive bottom time, and there's no need to get back in the boat, change tanks, and go back down again. When you think about it, with a 30 minute dive, you really only have about 20 minutes of bottom time per dive, when you count in waiting for your buddy to jump in, descent/ascent times, and safety stop. The longer dive allows for much more bottom time, and there's no hassel of getting back on the boat.

Of course, there's something to be said for being able to relax for a minute and chat with your buddy while topside.

Just my 2 cents,
Mike

i'd agree with mike, since i was there. no advantage i can see to 2 shortie dives, unless you want to massage your dive log a bit - not that there's anything wrong with that - except having a drink of water and a minute to chat. go for the one long one. and we'd love to have you come to rawlings. do you want to come to durham & carpool from here? i'd be glad to drive & have a big enough vehicle for 2 sets of gear.

DuckDiver:
USAF,

I may be diving the Indra next weekend if you are interested in splitting gas to Beaufort. I have to come right through Goldsboro to get there. I may actually come stay with the In-Laws in Goldsboro Friday night.

Trip leaves at 3:00pm for two 30 min dives at the Indra. Cost is $55. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks for the invite but I am gong to be busy next weekend as of right now. Who knows from one day to the next if my plans change. I will let you know if I can make it.

Mike Loyco:
When I was out there a few weeks ago with Discovery Diving, they had 2 options for the Indra. 1 option was two 30 minute dives, and the other option was one 60 minute dive. Since this dive is so shallow (~60 fsw), I would recommend renting an AL100 for this dive, and just doing one long dive, rather than 2 shorter dives.

The dive tables allow for this kind of single-dive bottom time, and there's no need to get back in the boat, change tanks, and go back down again. When you think about it, with a 30 minute dive, you really only have about 20 minutes of bottom time per dive, when you count in waiting for your buddy to jump in, descent/ascent times, and safety stop. The longer dive allows for much more bottom time, and there's no hassel of getting back on the boat.

Of course, there's something to be said for being able to relax for a minute and chat with your buddy while topside.

Just my 2 cents,
Mike

I agree, Mike. The 60 minute dive is definitely the way to go. MOST of the time, the 2 twenty minute dives option is utilized by instructors with students who are doing Open Water certification dives, therefore needing 2 different dives to meet certification requirements. If this doesn't apply to you, definitely go with the 1 long dive.

Gerry

kwickert:
I am booked for the City of Houston Saturday with CapeFear divers!!!

I have read a bit about the wreck, but was wondering, could someone who has been there give me their impressions?

Ken:

Really cool wreck, and it is still giving up artifacts. Seawitch found a medicine bottle on the wreck and an animal figurine. Lots of wild life, good relief, was really great the day we were there in May.

Sorry guys, i've not been visiting the boards in awhile (actually busy diving this time), so missed the uproar and problems with Dale. Sorry to anyone who lost money, but glad to hear folks want to get the forum back up and going.

I'll be keeping a closer eye out now, not going anywhere outside of the quarry until late September.

Man - drop out of the board for a week or so and look at all the changes!

I'm really sorry the site went down (Thanks again, Dale, you :censored:!), but I'm glad to see that most of our members have regrouped here at SB. (Let's face it - most of our group has never left SB, but just used our site for posts that might be deleted by the overzealous folks that sometimes get off on a tangent here...

I'd love to get together with you guys for a few dives before the water starts getting cold again. I'm diving tomorrow (8/21) at Lake Norman Quarry in the morning. (Last minute decision, made a few minutes ago.) I'd love to see any familiar faces that might want to join us, and maybe again later, at the DAN treasure hunt in Sept.

Time to raise a glass to the NCWD - a really great group of divers!!! Wreckmaniac.com is dead; Long live NCWD!

Safe ascents to all,
Grier

GrierHPharmD:
I'm really sorry the site went down (Thanks again, Dale, you :censored:!), but I'm glad to see that most of our members have regrouped here at SB. (Let's face it - most of our group has never left SB, but just used our site for posts that might be deleted by the overzealous folks that sometimes get off on a tangent here...

I'd love to get together with you guys for a few dives before the water starts getting cold again. I'm diving tomorrow (8/21) at Lake Norman Quarry in the morning. (Last minute decision, made a few minutes ago.) I'd love to see any familiar faces that might want to join us, and maybe again later, at the DAN treasure hunt in Sept.

Time to raise a glass to the NCWD - a really great group of divers!!! Wreckmaniac.com is dead; Long live NCWD!

Safe ascents to all,
Grier

See all the fun you've missed Grier! We do have a great group of divers here and we're working on getting another website. We do love our Scubaboard and I know I'll always be over here. Scubaboard has tons of information that can never be found in a smaller website and the chance to meet divers from all over the world. It is just nice to have a more personal club website where we can all ramble and talk about whatever. Maybe post a funny picture or two that wouldn't pass muster over here. Too bad we can't share our DIW photos. :D

Today is the absolute last drive from Angier to Charlotte (I'm sick of moving boxes and my back hurts!) so I will be offline until later this week. I don't think my DSL is on at the Charlotte house yet. Once I get it up and running I want to post about getting together at Bluestone later in the month, and also about our NCWD one year anniversary which is Oct 8! We need to plan a dive get together and cook out for that date. Also, I will be having a surprise visitor (someone from SB) in mid-late September that you all have to meet. Another excuse for a dive!

Mel :cheering:

blowin_bubbles:
hey baby duck - cool to find you guys here -
um, you guys don't mind if i bring Bombay do ya? (somthing about the blue bottle),
though i think Patron or Cabo would be better after diving.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Cabo.....a girl of taste!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom