Are there any Andrea Doria dreamers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will do. I'm looking foward to it. Living in NW Indiana it will be tough to find someone who will teach it. My dive shop, and the instructor are more then qualified, but insurance concerns I'm certain will delay them from offering the course. I also lack some of the required exp. to take it, according to PADI. Nothing major, and will be ready in a couple of trips, now that I know what they need.

What are the requirements you mention? It will certainly be interesting to see what PADI thinks is tech diving and what it entails.

-Mike

I believe they are, rescue cert., 100 plus dives, 25 of which need to be under 100 feet, nitrous cert., there may be others. I get the feeling this is a loaded question. If so, why?

Well....it wasn't intended to be a loaded question up front, and I didn't plan on posting my thoughts, but since you asked:

PADI and tech diving just don't seem to mix. PADI is soooo recreational minded, not that that is bad, just surprised that they are willing to get into it. For instance, I am taking the divemaster program through PADI, one page of the manual is dedicated to why homestudy is available to open water students: because they don't have the time to come to classes. Sure, it makes sense initially, but the fact that someone who has never scuba'd before can try to teach it to themselves w/o any instructor supervision, or w/o even being there to ask questions... You get my point, that PADI is more concerned with making learning easier and more convenient to the public, but possibly at the cost of a sub-par education. Can you imagine a homestudy on tech diving?

Also, they are so big that the legal consequences could be quite staggering if they have problems in such a risk-filled segment of the sport. Just my humble opion.

Thoughts?

-Mike

Never try to fool a NY hawgfish. I agree that PADI is, as an organization somewhat lenient, but I have been lucky because my Instructor is not. Through diving exp. I have seen divers with AOW certs that had a hard time putting their gear together, let alone advance themselves by seeking advanced knowledge. The problem will be the high cost of insurance to offer this course for my local dive shop. Also, keep in mind that only a few will even have any interest in taking such a course, I do. I love wrecks, deep water, and want to do it right. My instructor is the best, I would trust him with my life, PADI is just the name on the card.

Come on, that's a gimme. Of course there will be instructors out there who will go above and beyond what PADI requires in order to teach a good course, that happens everyday even in the open water course. I just think that PADI is going to have to be more stringent in their course than they are in others. I hope they don't just treat it like a 'specialty' and let it be. It will, as always I guess, come down to the instructor and the student. I'll take the course, if I get a chance and let it answer itself. Maybe they'll do it right and it will be a great course.

I'll get off my soapbox now.:box: :)

-Mike

Right now IMO it's not much more than a deep (160 ft) air class. They are about 5 years behind. They need a trimix program.
Ken

That is no soapbox, it's the truth. You take away from a new course what you will, and what you're offered. I believe in solo dives, that is one of the reasons this new course has peeked my interest. If I'm going to do that, reduntancey, knowledge, and the right equipment is vital. There is always going to be divers who like to take it easy, and just enjoy themselves and that's great. I have other goals, and the right teacher is just as vital. A C card is just a Drivers license for the water, what and how you put it to use is your buisness, right or wrong. PADI are just letters to me.

I am definitely a Doria dreamer...I have a picture of her on my office wall....

Someday....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom