Are there idiots on every dive boat?

Are idiots on every boat?

• Yes

Votes: 160 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 141 46.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt Bowen:
I have yet to find anyone who turned out to be an idiot, once I got to know them.
I have had the same luck. Lots of different skills present, but most are there because they love to dive. That's good enough for me.

I've not run into idiots.. some free spirits yes, idiots, no. I've had those who are nervous and chatty and when they hit the water their yaptrap shuts.... and guess what, they settle down, can't talk well through their reg so guess whats left to do? Dive! :D

Newbie = idiot, Nope....

Pretender, liar, or big mouth is an idiot. For example, somebody is sayng, "I have dived for 10 years." "I am a master diver or instructor." "I have more profound diving philosophy and your gear configuration is totally wrong." Who cares? Did I ask? When I saw them in underwater.... LOL~~~~.. My GF (only OW) used to be more streamlined. I don't care about your card and background, show your skills.... :wink:

As for us. we are still humble newbies on this sport. We clearly say about "what we can and we can't" in advance. :wink:

I can say with certainty that there's been at least one idiot on every dive boat I've ever been on ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd have to say yes. Here we are a bunch of air breathing people, strapping on thousands of dollars worth of equipment to swim with the fish. Gotta be something a tad odd/idiotic about us. :D

All depends on who you dive with..
If you dive with a large op your odds of being with that rude, self-centered, obnoxious diver goes way up.
If you dive with a op that run a small boats, tends to have more experienced divers, your chances of getting stuck with a jerk tend to be less....
My 2 cents...

I have to say no, not on every boat. This year my wife and I were standing on the dock with another couple when here comes a woman who starts asking the four of us about our experince level. This was our first dive at this dive destination. The other couple and us both did not hold AOW cards at the time, when the lady found this out she was so loud and created such a scene the dive op called the boat that had just left back because she couldn't dive with us. Long story short she got sea sick all day and stung by jellyfish. Didn't say a thing to her but she said she got what she deserved. By the way she dove with us most of the rest of the week with out any problem.

In the course of my short diving career I think I've seen alot of idiots.....dont know why or maybe I'm alittle to harsh.

Examples:

Out on the Y-Knot diving the Oriskany we're up for our SI and the rest of the boats pull up, a cattle boat drops their divers off and I watch as a large man "tries"to do a gaint stride, actually a belly flop almost on top of his daughter as she surfaces from her entry.
Nice.....:shakehead

Diving in Barbados we're doing a follow the leader reef dive and I'm trying to take shots...always behind and I got this guy banging into coral, chasing fish, finning everything in sight, touching everything in sight. Yeah I was pissed. :light:

Doing my AOW deep diver and stop to assist the Instructor with taking his hood off, my buddy surfaces without doing a SS, and without me, then leaves the area and goes and breaks down his crap. Meanwhile we spend 15 minutes searching for his stupid :censored:.

Many more I've seen but dont care to list them. I'm new and basically I consider myself a safe diver, because I want to dive again but am constantly amazed at some people who blow bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom