Are there idiots on every dive boat?

Are idiots on every boat?

• Yes

Votes: 160 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 141 46.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know. I haven't been on every dive boat!

:d

good point

I have say not on every boat...Who thing her/himself idiot?:no

yes there are idiots on dive boats....sometimes that idiot might be you!!

I don't know about idiots but people that irritated me. OK, yes they were idiots. One was a know it all with his son, very young boy. He never helped him just scolded him for making dad look bad. Dad was a tech diver and not like the rest of us so he almost couldn't be bothered with even his son's questions. On one particular dive he even got separated from his son who came up with another group. Dad stayed down twenty minutes past the given bottom time and made the dm's go in and find him. The second couple I will call the "bicker's". They lived in a northern state and didn't see the sun much, nor the water after seeing their skill level. The wife seemed to hate the husband and he thought she couldn't tie her shoe properly. So, they fought about everything. I have never wanted to turn off some one's air more than I did that day. The only time they weren't yelling back and forth was under water but they did know quite a bit of single finger sign language. The wife was a little on the big side, quite nervous about diving in the first place. She had lead everywhere to help her not float in odd angles however, she didn't need that lead very often as she struggled to equalize on every dive. I had finished a dive and they were still on the surface trying to get under and he could be heard three hundred yards away just screaming at her for being "so stupid".

I am kind of afraid that if I ever do get on a dive boat and there are no idiots that I notice, then it might be me.

diversolo:
Usually on cattle boats there's always one or two. On a sixpack, it's more rare, but it happens.

Cattle Boats! Whaahaahaha! :rofl3: I love that description! Every once in a while I come across a description for something that IMHO could not have been said better - this is one of those times... :rofl3:

RumBum:
Idiot is a relative term so there must be someone in any given group who is more idiotic than the others.

Yep I'm with RumBum on this one. Relativity is the issue here IMHO :D
I recon the "birds of a feather..." rule applies here, although it probably requires a slight modification to sound more applicable to diving. I find it amazing how divers who I think are just the eel's ankles are often thought of as the idjits in someone else's opinion, and then those I deem to deserve the Idjit award (and I have noticed a few) inevitably get the Ankle award from someone else. The only conclusion I can come to is that it's all relative to whoever you ask.

I also don't think anyone ever seriously considers themselves an idjit but we all make mistakes and we all screw up sometimes, and as we all know "the talent scouts are always watching," so I guess then that's when someone notices our unfortunate :54:, and I guess then that's consequently when the Idjit award is handed over to us in some unseen ceremony.

All hail the Idjit! :coffee:

Well, the generalization that every boat has an idiot can be proved wrong by a single counterexample, and I have several . . . But yesterday's boat was the antithesis. Not only no idiots, but I was the worst diver on the boat. Wonderful people, warm and friendly and helpful and superbly competent in the water. There were about fifteen divers on the boat (which was superbly captained and crewed as well) and this was one charter experience without a false note in it anywhere.

It can happen, particularly if you pick your boats.

Back
Top Bottom