Are we diving or swimming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod, Yes, I agree with all you say. I've tried to do a crawl in my 7 mil wetsuit....I also think that a swim test with proper strokes with fins on would be a great test. This is the best way I would assume for executing a rescue, which at least for the DM tests is IMO what it should all be about (some disagree). Perhaps using mask and snorkel for said test would be good as well, to make it complete. Recently an instructor said one can't swim properly with fins on AND using arms (which are prohibited in the DM 800 m/f/s test--perhaps to make sure a DMC can snorkel without arm use???). I can't figure his reasoning, as I have done it for decades snorkeling prior to my OW cert. Some sort of snorkeling test for OW may also be a good idea--such as swim, go to pool bottom to retrieve something, surface and clear snorkel. This may also solve ahead of time some of the airway problems we see students having.

In all honesty, if I were walking on a non-lifeguarded beach and saw someone hundreds of yards out in trouble (diver or not), I would think real hard about going out there without fins. Definitely would consider 911 first.

In all honesty, if I were walking on a non-lifeguarded beach and saw someone hundreds of yards out in trouble (diver or not), I would think real hard about going out there without fins. Definitely would consider 911 first.

I am a WSI, or was, and an ex lifeguard. I would go, especially if it was a young person or a dog :wink:. Or a pretty girl, even better. I would go, plain and simple. And have.

Seriously, as much as I am about being a good swimmer if one is attracted to the water, learning survival techniques, being able to stay on top, while you call 911 ( :wink: ) and a rescue effort is made good, it is all for naught if one drowns while waiting for a rescue. Even people who are not good swimmers can learn survival floating methods.

None of this frantic water treading, take a breath go face down, rest, sweep the arms gently with a little scissor kick, raise the head, take a breath, repeat. People can do this for hours in warm water, certainly long enough to get a rescue.

And I have seen and in fact been sent to retrieve, persons who got in the water by accident from a boat, in current, and an anchored boat with divers in the water. Anyone who is around the water needs to learn to swim or at least stay on top.

N

I don't care how far from the boat you are you can not do the breast stroak in a 7ml or dry suit

Why not? Freedivers do it all the time in wetsuits. I used breast stroke in a drysuit once when my buddy was missing and I wanted to cover distance quickly on the surface. It wasn't graceful but it got me there in half the time.

Nemrod, Yes, take a breath and go face down--"drown-proofing" as they call it. The only way I can "float" in fresh water. On my back is OK in salt water, but just good enough to keep my head out enough to breathe.

Locus, Agree on the breast stroke in even a thick wetsuit. In fact I use a version of that at times underwater to give the legs a rest or if I have or suspect oncoming cramps. Yes, you can somewhat use your arms on scuba if you don't create much drag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom