are wings worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think im gonna buy the diver supply technical bp/w set up (se prior posts above for link) but i dont know what accesory options i need for that wing and plate? do i need book screws? what are those? what about a single tank adapter? and what tank straps do i need? 1 or 2? theres a huge price difference between the two options! thanks!

You really do need two cam bands (tank straps).

The STA (single tank adaptor) is only necessary if your wing doesn't have slots for the cam bands. My wing has slots for the cam bands, and I still use one, mainly because I feel it keeps the tank a little more snug. Plus, it adds a bit of extra weight.

Since you don't say where you are diving, it's not possible to determine whether you should have a stainless steel plate.

By the time you get the plate and all the REQUIRED options, the rig is up to $390. You can get a lot better rig from Deep Sea Supply for about $80 more.

Other than the back pads, all of the listed options are actually REQUIRED.

Richard

Agreed. For $460 DSS will get you EVERYTHING you need.

Backplate
Wing
Webbing
Hardware (d-ring, triglides, buckle) - All SS
Cam bands
Crotch strap
LP inflator hose
Great service

No STA required with thier single wings.

Jason

DSS sends instructions on how to thread the webbing. It is not hard, it may be puzzling at first just because it's unfamiliar.

I also saw a video with GI/JJ showing how to thread the webbing, which helped me too.

For the record, I really like mine and also wish I had tried it before I bought a traditional BC.

Now, I am waiting for someone to show up and say how we are all brainwashed, and part of the BP/W conspiracy. :) :popcorn:

i dive in MA is it hard to assemble a bp/w?

Super easy to assemble. Do some research and try one if you can before you buy. I couldn't get one wet before I purchased but I did try one on.

What kind of exposure suit do you wear? What kind of tanks do you use?

Jason

I guess I'm a "tweener" - diving with a Dive Rite Travel EXP wing and Transpac. I find it to be extremely comfortable and have no complaints with it at all.

I will be selling my Knighthawk bcd soon as I get around to taking some photos.

I'm confused!! I only dived with "regular" jackets (the stuff you get in your OW class) and I have no clue what you're talking about! I assume you're talking about the metal plate (wings?) but why would you want to have that?

I'm confused!! I only dived with "regular" jackets (the stuff you get in your OW class) and I have no clue what you're talking about! I assume you're talking about the metal plate (wings?) but why would you want to have that?

The metal plate is called the "back plate" and the wing is the air bladder/buoyancy control device.

Wing:
venture.jpg

Back Plate:
HollisBackPlate.jpg

The metal plate + "wing" bladder system is just another kind of BCD. As to why you'd want it, some people just like the way they fit better. If you are buying your own gear they are worth taking a look at.

There is a picture here: https://www.deepseasupply.com/

As you can see, it's basically a back-inflate BCD, but simplified.

And few other topics start as many arguments. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom