Are you "cheap"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
No worries. We wouldn't expect them to bend over nearly as much as they try to bend US over....
You must agree with me then!!! As long as you dont waste the time of an LDS all bets are off! Whats wrong with that. I wouldnt think of wasting YOUR time if I planned to go elsewhere.

Well, as I'm still new to the sport I've bought very little equipment so far, all in a big LDS here in Paris.
As I don't know much about the technical part of the equipment (I mean, how do you choose between so many different pairs of fins ?!?), I really wanted professional advice and got it.
The guy spent 45 minutes with me just to help me find a mask that fits !
Here's what I bought so far :

- Mask : 45 euros
- Rondine fins : 70 euros
- 3mm booties with zipper : 25 euros
- Scubapro meshbag : 25 euros
The only buy I regret so far is the snorkel : I got a sophisticated one (can be worn on both sides, supposedly easier to clear, according to the manufacturer) and bought it for over 20 euros even though the seller was telling me a simple 8-euros tube was all I needed.
Well, I figured since I wouldn't be able to afford any top of the line reg or BCD in the near future, I would just "splurge" and treat myself to the coolest, most expensive tuba !!!
Ya, well, the darn thing keeps on rolling on my head and I can't clear it at all. So next week I'm going to buy a cheap, simple one... and look at wetsuits and computers, as I will be needing both pretty soon...

I had a snorkel once, but then i realised it doesn't allow the long hose to be deployed very easily /o/. I would suggest if you are going to get a computer, maybe buying one of the cheaper ones, with Nitrox capability if you are considering using that.

Cheap, no.

I'm an informed consumer who makes rational choices.

Pete

I figure that every time I dive I decrease the cost per dive tremendously so I am not going to total the cost until I have a few hundred dives under my belt.
It is called life support equipment. I would and will continue to gladly pay for quality.

Here's the breakdown for me:

Mythos mask: $75
Impulse 2 snorkle: $44
Blades II HF: $120
Neoprene weight belt: $35
Lead shot: $85
Quantum 5/4/3 wetsuit: $245
Tidas boots: $45
3mm gloves: $32
Aqualung Legend ACD: $540 (includes free Legend Octopus)
Seaquest Pro QD BC: $649 (includes Air Source)
Suunto Vyper: $359 (wrist mounted)
Princeton Tec II: $70
Wenoka Squeeze Blunttip: $45
Console Retractor: $45
Analog SPG + Depth guage: $225
SuuntoSK7 Compass: $56 (wrist mounted)
Colored hose protectors: 25.5 (3 hose protectors)

$2695.5 without tax. The tanks are Genensis HP 80's that i've had since I was certified. Then they cost between $300-$600 (sorry, I forgot the original price).

This leaves me with just a hood, underwater camera, underwater seado, snorkling vest, save a dive kit and tool kit, plus a few other trinkets and I should be fully geared :)

Mike.

1st year certified for son,daughter and myself...
3 new bc's
3 sets of regs
6 masks,2w/prescription
3 snorkels
5 sets of fins
1 set spring straps
5 wet suits 2 skins
4 sets of booties
4 knives
3 shears
1 line cutter
1 computer
1 uw housing
3 dive gear bags
1 cool akona travel rolling back pack thing
3 ow classes/2EFR classes/1nitrox class
tank bangers,rattles,safety sausages,whistles,clips etc.
3 trips to Florida Key's,trip to Curacao,trip to Bonaire
Scuba diving Mag.,Dive Training Mag,Dan Membership,Padi membership. Countless books,video's and travel guides
Time lost from work while on scuba board
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Hell I don't think I want to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midnight Star:
$2695.5 without tax. The tanks are Genensis HP 80's that i've had since I was certified. Then they cost between $300-$600 (sorry, I forgot the original price).

This leaves me with just a hood, underwater camera, underwater seado, snorkling vest, save a dive kit and tool kit, plus a few other trinkets and I should be fully geared :)

Mike.

Yeah, thats what I used to think. Then I decided that I wanted to dive wrecks. Your $2695 is just a drop in the bucket to be a wreck diver.

FD

i can say i am so tight that i make a frogs rear look loose i wont spend 1 cent more than i have to and i am not afraid to say it just like i said in my post why pay 10.00 when you can get it for 1.50 as for over all i have in my gear about 10k but i have about `15k to 20k in gear with trailer

Back
Top Bottom