Are you "cheap"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EBay notifies all LDS of all cheap purchases, so look out, air is going to cost you a bundle. Better pick up a compressor on the cheap too! LDS' can also detect that defiant gleam in the eyes of cheap purchasers, so wear shades when entering their domains.

Cheap or where you got it isn't the concern. Whether it works and is reliable is the primary concern. Those qualities can be had anywhere, but you need to know how to evaluate it. Then you need to know how to handle when it fails. Since a new diver is going to be low on both those abilities, it makes sense to seek help. That doesn't mean paying double but can equal LDS unless you have more than one intelligent diving friend to assist. Even then, LDS can be the way to go. Fit is very important.

Don't buy a bunch of gear at once is quite valid. You need a few dives to get over the 'honeymoon" period and different gear can have subtle noticeable differences. Then as you dive, you'll learn likes and dislikes and pros and cons. And you can look at the crazy setup on the guy suiting up in the parking lot. THEN you spend the big money...meanwhile, rent a bit, get educated.

I vote with my dollar in all aspects of life.

The effect of your hard earned cash extends way beyond the product.

Reward excellence with your business.

60 bucks is a bit much for a mask, BTW.

BC and reg deserve the lions share of the cost, IMV.

I admit to buying some grey market items at times. I am not a big supporter of the death grip many companies have on the LDS and the effect that in turn has on divers.

If you are innovative enough to bring me the same product for half as much, you win, with a few qualifiers.

I don't live in fear of air fills vanishing. Here in Hawaii, clubs have gotten together and purchased compressors. It isn't rocket science.

mnj1233:
Just dont expect an LDS to bend over backwards to accomadate your ebay purchase.

No worries. We wouldn't expect them to bend over nearly as much as they try to bend US over....

I am VERY cheap!!! I am practically the definition of cheap!

I got a cheap BC (US Divers Calypso SBC), two piece wetsuit (Fathom), reg set (Conshelf first and second, no octo, busted SPG) and a tank that eventually failed VIP for $200. It took $100 to completely rebuild the regset. $65 got me a computer and SPG (Suunto SPG and Suunto Favor S computer. yeah, for $65!). $30 got me a safety second (Scubapro R380) and $45 got me a new first stage with enough LP ports :)

First rule do not ever try to justify money you spend having fun.

Deer meat/sauage cost about $90 a pound
Fish shoot will spearfishing about $120 a pound
Boat just because I had to have it $12,000 used

Just have fun

I want new equipment, but the old stuff won't break ;-)

Ohh man, in 4 years if I added up all the equipment purchases, air fills, diving trips, gas mileage, classes and so forth......... WOW.

I am going to have a couple drinks tonight....to celebrate my experiences. Wouldn't change a thing. :)

DIR, how can it possibly be doing it right, as soon as you find out about it and bite the bullet it costs you like $4000 :L>

My wife and I spent about $2500 for our initial purchase, which included top end SeaQuest BCs and AquaLung Legend regs, although the dive shop owner had tipped us off to his Christmas sale and offered the prices to us early, which probably saved around $500. We've since bought numerous other items totaling another thousand or so, and we've never regretted a dime we've spent on diving.
Like a lot of other new divers I really agonized over internet pricing vs LDS, and after a year of association with our LDS we're both happy that our spending helps keep the doors open. They're great people and the money we would have saved on the internet isn't worth the value we get from our LDS.
We definitely are not in the "cheap" catagory, we tend to buy the best gear we can find that can be serviced locally.

Back
Top Bottom