Are you "cheap"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Berdman:
I try to save money but it always backfires on me. I always end up needing to buy something else (that’s works) or getting things fixed so in the end I spend more :(

This is very true. Doing once right is allways cheaper in the end.
Hence the term..... DIR.

Ron

Instead of "cheap", I like to think of myself as a smart shopper. I won't overpay for anything I buy. Not just SCUBA equipment but also cars, music equipment, furniture, or anything else for that matter.

I think one lobe is working against the other. Here's a typical conversation:

Left Lobe: The mortgage and bills are due this week.
Right Lobe: If I just had that extra piece of diving gear, we could do some cool things.
Left Lobe: Like What?
Right Lobe: Head to the quarry with our new dive light and simulate wreck diving on the cabin cruiser we swam around last week.
Left Lobe: Maybe next month.
Right Lobe: But were on a revolving checking account.
Left Lobe: Revolving?
Right Lobe: Yeah. If you buy it then, you'll save for it now. But if you buy it now, we can save for it then. In the end, it totals out the same.
Left Lobe: Are you sure? We wont have enough to pay our bills this month.
Right Lobe: That's next month. Remember, revolving bills.
Left Lobe: Oh yeah.
Right Lobe: Trust me.
Unbridled Mouth: Ok. Salesperson, i'll take that cool Tec II dive light. Yes the really expensive one!
Salesperson: You made an excellent choice sir.
Unfed Ego: Why thank you. Yes, I feel I did.

(on the way home with my new purchase)

Right Lobe: Did you see that cool dive knife behind the other counter?
Left Lobe: What did I just do again?
Right Lobe: Huh? Your asking me?

Hmmm...

1. Reg setup, about $1k for the three
2. Dive computer don't have one. Bottom timer about $250
3. Mask, About $100 for the 2 of them
4. About $160 for 2 pair.

The longer I am in diving, the more amazing it is to see what kind of REALLY good gear is out there for great prices. Throwing money away on crap always strikes me as a bad idea...

Cheap or Not I have a suggestion. Start small/cheaper. I dove this last weekend and saw two divers swim or more like flail by wearing about 2500 dollars worth of gear. Now I could tell they probably just qualed and were trying to get going, but were wearing some serious tech gear. My suggestion to you beginners is start small until you are certain that you want to go further with your scuba adventures. Otherwise I'll be buying your gear on the cheap on EBAY.

fire_diver:
This question violates the first rule of SCUBA: Never talk about the cost of SCUBA. :D

i thought rule 2: was always look good? :14:

normisan:
Cheap or Not I have a suggestion. Start small/cheaper. I dove this last weekend and saw two divers swim or more like flail by wearing about 2500 dollars worth of gear. Now I could tell they probably just qualed and were trying to get going, but were wearing some serious tech gear. My suggestion to you beginners is start small until you are certain that you want to go further with your scuba adventures. Otherwise I'll be buying your gear on the cheap on EBAY.

This is my thinking exactly. Also, I think some beginners who spend thousands before their first dive end up souring on the sport as too expensive and quit. I have seen eBay auctions of complete setups of expensive stuff that is virtually unused. I wonder if these people would have given diving a little more of a chance if they hadn't already thrown thousands into it before they developed the basic skills. Does no one tell them that it's ok to rent for awhile?

Buying this stuff used can be a very good deal. There is some stuff I prefer to buy new and pay the price, but for some things it makes no difference.

anakin:
i thought rule 2: was always look good? :14:
nah, thats rule #6

But yes, it does get expensive, more over when you start of 'wrong'. By buying what you really need, not what you think you want, you can slow the hits in the wallet. But there comes a time when you just have to bite the bullet for the good stuff. So be prepared to shell out serious $$, but pace it by buying smart.

Thanks for the comments. As usual, SBer's have provided much to think about.
I have to confess I'm not a "gear hound". Nearly all the equipment choices I started with six years ago are the ones I still use. I simply don't have the burning desire to change AS LONG AS the gear is in good repair and passes all tests. Certainly, I have changed out some pieces as they wore out, but I just don't feel the need to purchase every new chunk of technology-with all its bells and whistles-that comes along.

Educated individuals that know what they need and dont seek FREE advice/try on wet suits for fit etc. from an LDS then purchase elsewhere are free to find the best deal. Just dont expect an LDS to bend over backwards to accomadate your ebay purchase.
Go ahead and flame me but I support my LDS.

Back
Top Bottom