Are you fit to scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most dangerous I have ever felt on a boat was with a woman who accused the dive staff of stealing her wetsuit. After roughly 3-5 minutes of argument, the dive staff informed her she was in fact already wearing the 'stolen wetsuit'. The same thing happened with her weight belt the next day. I was scared for her safety.

Scary, how was her diving, those pyschological issue aside?

As I posted in the pet peeves thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...t-your-biggest-pet-peeves-11.html#post5910350

New one.. people who think that the number of dives or certificates determines how good a diver is. IMHO it is all about skill in the water and skill in the conditions of the dive you are currently doing.

The attitude that divers who are older with less than ideal BMI and athletic fitness levels should not be diving and are a danger to the slim, fit, macho, alcohol swilling high risk taking younger divers

Not everyone can meet the exacting standards set here. I know what it took to get myself to the weight that many seem to think is so vital. I was stressed, hardly eating and walking/jogging for miles to exhaust myself enough to sleep. If I had maintained that state I am certain I would not have survived to reach my current age and weight. My cariovascular fitness is higher than many slim people. My cardiac workup and stress test were fine. My yearly blood workup is fine. My family is made up of females all with weight problems and males with reverse weight problems.

If someone wants to judge this book by the cover and refuse to dive with me go for it! I am perfectly safe diving with my obese dive buddy (fascinating what people consider obese). We have no trouble packing our gear across rock platforms and climbing up and down rock ledges to get to the dive sites. We've had a few people who fit into the acceptable BMI who couldn't keep up to us! We know our limits and dive within them. We understand the risks make our decisions and will accept the consequences. I will not miss out on diving because we can't do the "required" amount of acceptable activities.

One of my favorite AOW classes was with two sisters who were in the range of 20-25 years younger than me, and reasonably fit. Part of the class involves taking gas consumption measurements by doing timed swims at a constant depth and taking psi readings before and after each timed swim. To get the "working" rate, I have them swim at a fast pace for five minutes to simulate swimming into a stiff current. My usual caution to students is that I'm an old, fat guy ... so try not to pass me. After the dive, the sisters came out of the water, dropped their rigs, and one of them came over to me, stood facing me with hands on her hips and said "old, fat guy my ass ... you don't get to play that card again" ... :D

Fitness to dive cannot generally be determined by how someone looks ... you need to see them in the water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you smoke more then 2 cigarettes every 2 days (average) you should not dive.

I smoke a pack a day, sometimes roll a few on the side. I dive. And I'm damn good at it. I can out-swim most people, and feel my rescue skills are ready to save lives, despite my tarnished lungs. Rescued a bunch of business student snorkelers from a dive boat once, then had a cigarette to celebrate. I exercise, go running, go swimming, and eat well.

Smoking kills, is bad, shouldn't do it. But if you do, that doesn't mean you fail.

LOL reminds me of the reaction of the Doctor who did my lung function test for my Employment Medical... He took the reading and said "Wow that's impressive for... ummm" I said "Oh you were expecting something else because of my age and weight??" He had the decency to turn a little red and say... "Well ummm yes" Apparently my lung function was what he would have considered normal for someone half my age!

I have never smoked, got into recreational drugs or alcohol but I wont play superior to those that have. I obviously put more food into my mouth than my body needs so I won't be casting any stones from this glass house about good or bad habits but I sure resent those who judge me on my weight when they have their own bad habits(addictions)

Scary, how was her diving, those pyschological issue aside?

In a word: Terrible. By the end of the week we had assigned a DM solely to her. We didn't want to remove her from the dive group she travels with, so we just babysat her at depth. We told the group leader we would prefer if she would not be diving next year. Group leader confirmed that it was her last trip diving with the club.

A person would have to be in pretty rotten shape to have a heart attack brought on by jumping off a boat and swimming around for a few minutes. This type person should limit their activities to watching TV. I'm 71 and don't want to relate all the stuff wrong with my health which includes heart rythum problems, a bout with cancer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, athletes feet and bad breath but my diving activities aren't compromised by any of these and other disorders which I am afflicted with. I figure that if you can walk a quarter mile without falling to the ground in agony it's a go for diving. If not just be a bubble watcher and enjoy the boat ride and sunshine.

You can, of course, arrange for your diving to be in warm waters, single alloy cylinder, shorts and tee shirt and be helped to jump off a boat ( let's not think about getting back on the boat using a ladder in a 10' swell ) and you're right - if you are in your comfort zone there will be relatively little exertion or stress.

However, if you've just walked 100m in your drysuit and twinset to your step in point ( just don't mention walk ins off pebble beaches ) you would be well advised to take a rest before getting in the water and using the time to consider your fitness. :eek:))))

At 64 and not too over weight, I find that jumping into freezing water with a shark skin, 5mm wetsuit and heaps of weight just doesn't do it for me any more. I am concerned about my lack of flexibility with all that weight and the impact of cold water.

Staying fit is harder these days and it comes as a surprise to me after a weeks diving how much fitter I am. Maybe I need the ocean at the back door to get and stay fit.

Another factor for older divers is, for some odd reason, fear when something goes wrong, it is higher than you expect. I have always considered myself a calm diver and it has helped me out at different times over the years. The dive guide took us into a strong current in 28m on a dive trip last year and after pulling myself along the bottom for a while found my air consumption much higher than I expected and got the 'phits' about being in that situation, I almost bailed out of the dive. 10 years ago this situation would have been far less confronting (far less air use) than I found it.

If you are over 60 maybe it is worth taking it easier.

Sorry -- post is redundant because the originating post was removed...and I don't know how to delete my post...argh, me and technology are not a great fit! --
I must say that the lack of civility I am seeing on ScubaBoard really is making me wonder if it's worth my time to be here. Personal attacks and insults have no place on this board. Have either of you worked on having an argument that makes points without stooping to insults? Are either of you able to separate your opinions from facts? You have both, in my view, violated the terms of service in the Basic Scuba Discussion section by flaming each other. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion. There is something very wrong about making personalized attacks on each other because you disagree. I suggest you both wait a day before responding again -- and it might be a good idea to save yourself a draft, then read it over a while later before posting it; it'll help you check your tone and hopefully your egos.

Last edited:
In your first post you come off saying if you have "any" of these features "you shouldn't dive" now in your latest post you are describing people who seem to posess "every" less than desireable body shape and bad habit. Which is it? Any of the above or All of the above? Big difference to the amount of people you are offending!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom