Are you fit to scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisH, you are confused. And no I did not just flame you by saying that. I agree with most of your comment, I tried to report BSA65S initial comment to me but the report button wasn't there, guess my browser is running slow... I have not insulted anyone i.e called names... Worth your time, sounds like you would rather read a magazine as it does not talk back. However the topic is "FIT TO DIVE" there will be difference of opinion. Thats is all this forum is "opinion" the sooner you get that the better off you will be. My comments were back handed given what was directed at me. I am not a turn the cheek kind of guy, though I do not need to call people names to make my point or rebuttal. If you read my initial post you will see that BSA65S does not agree, as he has explained. You feel that I should not defend myself thats OK, your not me.

In your first post you come off saying if you have "any" of these features "you shouldn't dive" now in your latest post you are describing people who seem to posess "every" less than desireable body shape and bad habit. Which is it? Any of the above or All of the above? Big difference to the amount of people you are offending!!!

Any, yes thats whats I said. Though I would change that to dive with in your limitations as NWgratefuldiver suggested... Whats I described above is what I run into alot which prompted my initial comment... IMO if you don't take care of yourself the ocean will certainly not. The problem I see is alot people don't really know their own limitations given their current health. So yes I would prefer to educate or exclude them depending on the circumstances...

Excellent question.
It seems by some of the comments posted recently, that the discussion has deteriorated. However the subject did bring me back onto Scubaboard, so thanks for the question. Always good to think about these things.

Yeah.. I've noticed a similar trend but nothing keeps you fit for diving like diving! I must admit warm bed wins over cold ocean on the colder winter mornings. It also amazes me what I consider cold now. 3 or 4C .... I used to consider "barely brisk" :doh: maybe living OZ has spoiled me and it isn't age:praying:

I am actually considering getting a 5 mil for winter diving here instead of the 3mil!

Always amazed at the number of people eager to tell others what they should or should not do. If my doctor's say I am cleared to dive that is good enough for me and I really could care less what anyone else has to say about it. If anyone has reservations about being my dive buddy, I have no problem with that at all. I am sure there will be a fit, gung ho, adventurous, go gettum, eager to push the limits person on board with all the newest equipment (including a bad ass knife) with all the bells and whistles that you can buddy up with. Good luck with that buddy if something goes wrong.

I must say that the lack of civility I am seeing on ScubaBoard really is making me wonder if it's worth my time to be here. Personal attacks and insults have no place on this board. Have either of you worked on having an argument that makes points without stooping to insults? Are either of you able to separate your opinions from facts? You have both, in my view, violated the terms of service in the Basic Scuba Discussion section by flaming each other. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion. There is something very wrong about making personalized attacks on each other because you disagree. I suggest you both wait a day before responding again -- and it might be a good idea to save yourself a draft, then read it over a while later before posting it; it'll help you check your tone and hopefully your egos.

Too bad, this thread started out as a celebration of a fellow diver's accomplishment. One troll was allowed to derail it into the standard "I don't know anything about DIR but I know I don't like it" thread.

Ok, done with this thread -- no point arguing with a zealous zealot of a troll.

To Crush: congrats again, don't let the petty and uninformed criticism of an internet diver take away any of your sense of accomplishment.

To the Admins: I'm sad to see a troll get away with spewing his uninformed crap in the Basic forum -- it does nothing to create an environment to welcome new divers, and a thread that should have celebrated a diver's accomplishment has degenerated into idiocy as a result.

Dennis, based on your last three posts I would say, yes, you should reevaluate whether to spend time here. The conversation is likely to disappoint you on an ongoing basis.

Thanks Vladimir,

Nothing like a little context...I notice you chose not to quote the section where the fellow I was responding to had equated DIR divers (and no, I haven't taken either GUE or UTD) with a cult and with heroin addicts. In fact, if you read both of my quotes in that thread, you might even notice my regret that someone celebrating a diving accomplishment was being trolled. You might also have noticed that a number of people thanked me for my comments, including Bob (NWGratefulDiver) -- not exactly a hotheaded forumite!

I am sorry if you found my post un-civil. I really do strive to contribute positive comments on this board. I do object to people being attacked, especially in the supposedly friendly basic forum. When I look back on my posts in the other thread, I do appreciate that experienced folk like Bob and TS&M managed a more courteous tone than I did (although, to be fair, Bob called that fellow a troll too...)

Oh, and Bob, my apologies for the informality of presuming to be on a first-name basis...I've learned so much from you on this forum and the articles on your website that I almost forget we haven't met!

I am sorry if you found my post un-civil.
I didn't. You are reading too much into my post. It means exactly what it says and nothing more. It seems to me, based on the fact that your last three posts were complaints about the tone of the conversation, that the tone of the conversation here is going to bother you on an ongoing basis, because these conversations are not particularly harsh or unusually contentious compared with the norm. In my opinion, of course.

The problem with just stating that a large percentage of scuba related deaths happened to over weight people is that without more information the statistic is meaningless as the population is becoming more and more obese. Having said that I WILL say that there is more stress on the over weight (and under muscled) diver. I am severely overweight (350 lbs). Being a mouse potato I am also under muscled it takes all of my strength to lift my pack.
When diving in Florida this is not an issue, I am able to don my gear and am very comfortable in the water.
However in Maine where I have to wear a wetsuit along with a lot of lead I am wiped out just getting into the water. The heat from the suit and the exertion of getting into the suit, carrying my gear over the rocks and down to the water and finally getting my pack on. Also the waves get more of a purchase on my body and tend to knock me around more than slender divers. The heat is especially bad and I have to get under quickly, my heart is pounding hard enough to feel it shake my shoulders. So boat diving, no suit, = safe. Shore diving with a suit = more dangerous.
I would never want to give up diving, it is one of the few things in life I really enjoy.
Having said all that I will point out that according to my doctor (I just had my physical 3 days ago) I have no health issues other than my weight and lack of exercise.

Although weight and fitness aren't the end all be all consideration for diving fitness, in my experience, they sure help with life. I'm a recovering alcoholic, and I was really fat when I was drinking. I'm 5'10" and at one time was pushing 265. I've cleaned up my act for almost three years now and I've lost considerable weight. I'm almost below 200 (still clinically obese) but I excercise 5 times a week and the weight is slowly coming off. I was in horrible shape when I started my diving journey. It was a reward for one year of keeping my act together, however I still weighed 235 plus when I started my dive training. Although I don't get to dive much, it has gotten a little easier lately with my increased fitness. Quality of life in general is better for me now that I don't sweat when I pee. I can even lug all my dive gear,minus the tank of course, but with my weights, in my dive bag a few hundred meters without feeling like I'm going to die. (Parking in Spain sucks) Your mileage may vary.......Only you know what you're capable of, and I bet your capable of more than you think!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom