Are you on good terms with Lady Luck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is that even if the yahoo survives ... the less experienced diver who follows along because they admire the yahoo sometimes doesn't ...

That would be two yahoos.

I understand your point Bob, but when does a diver become responsible for themselves? Not being in a OW class recently, I don't know if they go over "You can't breathe water! Your gear, training, skill and your good judgement will keep you alive if they are all in proper working order.".

Bob
---------------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

Now, here is a very good example:

Miami Beach charter leaves divers in open waters off Key Biscayne - 10/03/2011 | MiamiHerald.com

When you dive Open Water, do you carry a Surface Marker Buoy (SMB), a signal mirror, and a noise maker? (No, I do not mean the stupid, can't be heard over the cries of sea gulls, whistle attached to your Jacket BC.)

Perhaps these guys could have signaled a little better . . . . but were they prepared? Are you?

Jax, If a diver makes a noise in the ocean, but there is no one there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

Jax, If a diver makes a noise in the ocean, but there is no one there to hear it, does it still make a sound?
Well, yes, as there's always at least one person (diver) there hear it. Whether it helps or not, that's the real question. I carry a whistle but I'm not planning to add one of those damn fog-horn thingees to my BC just yet. I don't expect a whistle will ever be of much help but it makes me feel a little better anyway.

I don't carry a noise-making device ... I AM a noise-making device ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I carry a whistle but I'm not planning to add one of those damn fog-horn thingees to my BC just yet.

They're pretty easy to tie a small boltsnap to. Then you can just keep it in your pocket.

Back
Top Bottom