Are you sure you want to cage dive with White Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the shark feeding is to the benefit of divers, not to the benefit of sharks. I also hope that the shark was not injured badly. Divers and operators put their own interests before that of the animals they're observing. I don't buy the "shark education" component of these operations.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine on a different boat and she said it was because they "pulled" the bait to late. This sort of appears to be the same situation. I have to give huge kudos to the diver who not only climbed out of the cage while avoiding a white shark, but he also held on to his camera. It would be interesting to know if there were divers in the other cage with cameras.

Well it looks like it was the same boat... FYI it was not the Nautilus Explorer. Here is a letter from the operator about the incident.

Solmar V Luxury Live-Aboard | Facebook

Last edited:
All the shark feeding is to the benefit of divers, not to the benefit of sharks. I also hope that the shark was not injured badly. Divers and operators put their own interests before that of the animals they're observing. I don't buy the "shark education" component of these operations.

I know it benefits the divers or others going in these cages but while it might seem wrong , it is still pretty effective in getting people to participate in shark conservation. They want to see more SHARKS not less. That being said they are motivated to help protect sharks from being hunted out into extinction. Sometimes you have be realistic and flexible in order to generate interest and support from a bigger segment of the population. I think it is also a way of getting some people possible interested in diving, which would be a good thing for the sport. since you do not need to be certified in some shark cage operations.
IMO
Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

The guy with the ling hair looked like he was gonna but there was a shark in the way:D

I just thought he took them off so he could lean in for a better look at what was going on in there, but then he ran off and came back, so who knows. Maybe he was getting ready to pull the guy out after the shark left. Glad it didn't come to that!

Back
Top Bottom