Aruba Dive OP Decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LWith58

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to Aruba this spring and am looking for a dive op. I have read a lot of positive comments on both Dive Aruba and Native Divers; these two seem to fit the profile I am looking for. Have any of you used both op’s and can offer comments to help me decide?

Thanks,
Lee

I've never heard anything but praise about Clive and Dive Aruba. He has a very positive and good reputation. I don't know much about Native divers, but
i've never heard anything bad about them.

Most of your negative remarks about dive operators in Aruba are about Red Sail.
They do the cruise boat excursions and have a repuation of being a cattle boat
there.

I used Pelican Adventures (located on the pier near the Holiday Inn ) and was
pleased by them. But they do very 'scheduled' diving to the same locations
on a set schedule. This is good if you want to dive a particular spot
you can look it up on their schedule and dive it. Typically they do a 2 tank
dive to the 'south coast' in the morning and the rest are 1 tank dives
on the west coat the rest of the day. If the water is rough in the morning
though they'll defer to the west coast.

Unique Divers (located between Aruba Grand and the Radison) also is well liked.

About the only one you'll hear "Don't ever dive them" is Mermaid Watersports.
All kinds of really scarey negative reviews on this and other boards about them.

I have been to Aruba 3 times and have used Native Divers every time. Romeo and Vanessa are great. Their tent is located on the beach in front of the marriott beside the fisherman docks. Romeo will only take up to 5 divers out at a time. He keeps his boat docked at the harbour in town so it isn't a long ride to the southern sites. He just got his new searay boat in the water when we were there last year. He will let you dive your own profile. He will also let you venture off yourself ( with buddy ).

My wife and I have been to Aruba twice, this last time in March of 05, we decided we wanted to dive while there. Being newly certified and living in the midwest we'd dive a large puddle if the viz was good. :D

Anyway we were going to be cruising into Aruba, on Celebrity, and my wife heard about Clive on ScubaBoard so she contacted him. He was excellent, I mean what more can I say, than that we will be stopping in Aruba again this coming March on our cruise and we have already booked Clive for the day we are there.

When your favorite vacation is cruising and you have discovered diving, there can be many logistical problems trying to book dives on the Islands you stop at. One of which is how to get yourself and your gear to the operator.

That was not a problem with Clive, he offered to pick us up and drop us back off at the ship. What more could you ask for?

THE MAN IS A CLASS ACT!

We will also be stopping in Dominca, Grenada, Isla de Margarite, and Bonaire. all of these will be new to us so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry that turned into such a long answer, but I don't think you can go wrong with Clive.

LWith58 I am going to Aruba this spring and am looking for a dive op. I have read a lot of positive comments on both Dive Aruba and Native Divers; these two seem to fit the profile I am looking for. Have any of you used both op’s and can offer comments to help me decide?

Thanks,
Lee
My wife and I have been to Aruba twice, this last time in March of 05, we decided we wanted to dive while there. Being newly certified and living in the midwest we'd dive a large puddle if the viz was good. :D

Anyway we were going to be cruising into Aruba, on Celebrity, and my wife heard about Clive on ScubaBoard so she contacted him. He was excellent, I mean what more can I say, than that we will be stopping in Aruba again this coming March on our cruise and we have already booked Clive for the day we are there.

When your favorite vacation is cruising and you have discovered diving, there can be many logistical problems trying to book dives on the Islands you stop at. One of which is how to get yourself and your gear to the operator.

That was not a problem with Clive, he offered to pick us up and drop us back off at the ship. What more could you ask for?

THE MAN IS A CLASS ACT!

We will also be stopping in Dominca, Grenada, Isla de Margarite, and Bonaire. all of these will be new to us so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry that turned into such a long answer, but I don't think you can go wrong with Clive

I did not dive with both, so I cannot give you a comparison, unfortunately.

But I went diving with Clive and only have fantastic things to say. He is first rate and you cannot go wrong using him. Of course, other operators may be fantastic, too. But with Clive, there is no doubt.

Enjoy your trip.

Michael

LWith58:
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it....

Do either of these op's have a facility to store your gear for the duration?

Lee

Lee, is the Lee of that band you? If so, awesome tunes!!!!!!

When I was in Aruba, I had some of my own gear, but not much of it, yet. So I just carried it every day. I'm not sure whether Clive has gear storage, but I suspect he would store your gear for you, if needed, at his shop. I remember he had a shop near the beach.... He's very accomodating, which is one of the nice things about diving with him.

Lee, is the Lee of that band you? If so, awesome tunes!!!!!!
Yep, that's me...thank you...it is a lot of fun playing those 80's songs.

When I was in Aruba, I had some of my own gear, but not much of it, yet. So I just carried it every day. I'm not sure whether Clive has gear storage, but I suspect he would store your gear for you, if needed, at his shop. I remember he had a shop near the beach.... He's very accomodating, which is one of the nice things about diving with him.

We are probably going to be diving 4-5 days. It's such a pain to bring your gear back to your hotel every day and not have a facility to rinse and hang/store everything properly. I've got no problem taking care of my own gear it would just be much easier if there were a place we can rinse and store gear for the 4-5 days or so.

Thanks,
Lee

LWith58:
Yep, that's me...thank you...it is a lot of fun playing those 80's songs.

We are probably going to be diving 4-5 days. It's such a pain to bring your gear back to your hotel every day and not have a facility to rinse and hang/store everything properly. I've got no problem taking care of my own gear it would just be much easier if there were a place we can rinse and store gear for the 4-5 days or so.

Thanks,
Lee

Yeah, you must have fun playing those tunes. (As I'm typing this, I'm listening to the channel Hair Nation on Sirius.... :D )

Of course I cannot speak for Clive and since I didn't try to store my gear when I was there, I don't know for sure. But he has a shop with gear and equipment, so I can't imagine it would be a problem to store gear with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom