Aruba first visit looking for help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffhamm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
My wife and I are going to visit Aruba in July for the first time.
We are looking for "top tips" for our visit.
We are experienced divers that like to have the freedom to dive our computers is this possible here? I read a lot about short dives.
Are there dive ops that cater to smaller groups or experienced divers? Are big animals likely at all?
We prefer a dive op that is pretty laid back and fun to be around one that jokes around and has a good time, safety is important of course but we dont need a million rules more specifically we don't need a nanny. (Those that think like us will know what I mean, everyone else will say we are going to die.)

We plan on staying Holiday inn. Looks cheap and sufficient. Any reason this is a bad idea?

Local dining suggestions? We don't plan on dressing up much and don't need 5 star places. We like good food and fun places. Inexpensive is nice too, but we do what we have to.

Looking for local sites to see as well our typical "vacation" is 100 miles an hour we like to see lots of local sites of interest and historical sites in-between our lounge and drink time. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get, Scubaboard has always got me some great suggestions and I try to give it back whenever I can.

Jeff

Dive with Clive (Dive Aruba) is excellent and will get a lot of responses on this site. Another option is DiveVersity who are actually located right on the beach next to the Holiday Inn. You can't really go wrong with either, both will have 5 star reviews on Trip Advisor. Last time I was there, DiveVeristy had a bigger boat--fit about 12, where as Dive Aruba was a 6 pack. Clive is definitely the most experienced diver on the island and will let you dive how you want.

DiveVersity Aruba (Noord): Top Tips Before You Go - TripAdvisor

Dive Aruba (Oranjestad): Top Tips Before You Go - TripAdvisor

Search on Scubaboard. Plenty of reviews on both operations.

Food--lots of touristy restaurants.

If memory serves, food was average price-wise for an Island.

Really recommend Sole Mare Ristorante if you want a good italian restaurant that isn't too expensive and has a nice atmosphere. I also went to Madame Janette's which is either the #1 or #2 must go to super expensive restaurant on the island--My family thought the food was very good, but didn't really understand all of the hype, you can find better value per dollar.

They have have horseback riding on a trail which is fun along with a few other tours.

A solid thumbs up for Dive with Clive.

Don't expect 4 dives a day. Two solid dives in the morning is the norm. Occasional one tank dives in the afternoon.

Holiday Inn is a pretty decent choice. Your sandwiched in right there between several top notch resorts and right on the beach there. Plenty of low key places to eat within walking distance. Everything from Starbucks to McDonald's to more mid-range like BBQ, Senior Frogs, etc.

Do the Kukoo Kunuku bus one night if you're a partier - just don't do it the night before you go diving. For some reason that morning is brighter, hotter and the dives are much more strenuous :)

Definitely spend time downtown (at least one afternoon) around the marina - interesting places there to explore.

Feel comfortable to rent a car and explore the island. If you get behind a tour bus you can follow it to all of the stops. For good local seafood eat at zerovers. Fish is brought in off the dock. You buy the fish and they cook it for you. They might be closed on Sunday though. If you dive at mango halto there is a Chinese restaurant right next to it that serves these really good masita style pork chuncks.

If you don't dive at mango halto try a snorkel or three there. Good spot. Arguably the best on the island.

Aruba is not really known for its shore diving. Its been years since my last visit but I have seen divers shore dive Mangel Halto.

Loved renting an ATV and riding up around the lighthouse, northwest end of the island and along the rugged coastline. You can do it as a tour but we enjoyed the freedom exploring by ourselves. Pack drinks, snacks and Sunscreen.

Horseback ride to the Natural pool.

Sunset catamaran cruise.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom