Aruba Pro Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with these guys?

How are they? How crowded are the boats, which sites do the go to, follow the DM dives ( or do they let you go off on your own a little too)?

I already kind of had my mind made up, but being the lazy guy I am, I figured I'd check these guys out since they are right next to where I'm staying!

Where are you staying?

I lived in Aruba for a while. How much diving do you intend to do? Do you prefer wrecks or reefs? What is your level of experience?

Answer me these questions three, then more help I can be.

The more the better.

I like both, but I'd say wrecks over reefs

Open water, about 40 dives, mostly in the 60 - 70' range (have gone a little deeper on a few) in the nice cold Quarry out in PA, plus a few shore dives. Probably doing AOW soon.

I was thinking about Pelican. The only reason I'm checking these guys out is, as I said, I'm lazy and they're right at my hotel!

The last line of your post, finally I get, but too late in Yodish my reply to type!

grunzster once bubbled...
The more the better.

I like both, but I'd say wrecks over reefs

Open water, about 40 dives, mostly in the 60 - 70' range (have gone a little deeper on a few) in the nice cold Quarry out in PA, plus a few shore dives. Probably doing AOW soon.

I was thinking about Pelican. The only reason I'm checking these guys out is, as I said, I'm lazy and they're right at my hotel!

The last line of your post, finally I get, but too late in Yodish my reply to type!

With Pelican........ I'm sure you'll be happy.........
Pro dive is a smaller operation. You would most likely get more personal attention. However Pelican has more boats daily. They'll pick you up right outside your hotel & bring you right to the pier. I think Pro Dive boats leave from the harbor downtown. That means you'd get transported by van to the main downtown docks, bit of a PIA as you need to hump the gear accross parking lots. I believe their shop is in Ponton(inland)

Not sure where you are staying. Just about all resorts are within 5 minutes of Palm Beach (Pelican & Red Sail piers) except for the Renasaunce (former Sonesta) which is downtown (near Harbor), that's more like a 15-20min ride.
If you chose Pelican, I'd appreciate it if you would tell them Andrew referred you. Also please give Eugine a swift kick in the butt from me. Hmmm...Evan could use one too. Seriously tho, the staff are all friendly, helpful and professional. Please send my regards to all.

Good luck,
Andrew
ps-------

I've posted responses on several threads regarding Aruba.
Here's a clip from one of them>

"Diving:
The two largest Dive Operators "Red Sail Sports" and "Pelican Adventures" , have the most boats going out. Either one will pick you up at your hotel.

Pelican is a smaller company (Aruba only) and red sail operates on several islands. The Aruba operations are similar in size. They both have two nice dive boats and several catamarans. Their prices are similar.
Personally I prefer Pelican, In my opinion the staff is quite friendly, helpful and accommodating. I have been diving with both. When I lived there I worked at Pelican, so maybe I am slightly bias. Never the less, I am confident that you will be happy with them.

Boats have: fresh water showers, marine toilet, dry storage space, fresh drinking water (Aruba has excellent water), upper sun deck, one has a camera table, rear platform (giant stride entries), ladders, and are comfortable.

The morning two tank dive boats go to the South Coast. This area has the best vis. There are moderate seas at times, and often a moderate current. I don't know your level of experience and training, but this area is best for Advanced Open Water or above. The dives are usually about 90-100ft first dive, then 50-70ft-second dive. I particularly like the "Jane Sea" wreck, Bacadera reef and Skalahein reef.
Water temps are 80-85f. Vis=60-120ft.

The pm 1 tank boats go out at 1pm and 3pm.

1pm-"Pedernalis" wreck. Just 25ft deep, but a fantastic dive. Spiny lobsters, green and spotted moray, octopus + tons of reef fish. This site is wreckage of an oil tanker sunk during WW2. The wreckage was used as target practice by Dutch Marines after the war. So now it is basically piles of blown apart rubble and some unexploded bombs. Great dive for newbies. They'll want to do it several times, I'm sure.

3pm-"Antilla" wreck-55ft max. Aruba's most famous dive site:

The story (keep in mind this is part history & part local legend. I cannot guarantee its accuracy)

The Antilla is the most famous of Aruba's wrecks. This German freighter was in Aruba's waters during WW2. It was suspected of supplying German U-boats. Once Germany invaded Holland, the were considered the enemy by Aruba (Dutch). The ship was near Aruba and was surrounded by Dutch Marines. The captain, anchored off Aruba's North West shore, asked for time for his crew to gather belongings and surrender on shore. During this time, the crew super-heated the boilers. Just prior to leaving the ship, the captain opened valves allowing sea water to enter the ship. When the cool water reached the hot boilers, there was an explosion that virtually ripped the ship in half. The Antilla sank, lying on its port side. The main mast still penetrates the surface, as does a section of the starboard side.

The crew were taken prisoner and sent to Bonaire (a prison camp at the time) where they spent the days drinking rum and hitting on Bonarian women. (this is why so many people from Bonaire have blue eyes )

After the war, these prisoners liked Bonaire so much, they did not want to return to Germany. So a group of them opened the first Caribbean resort in the Area. The buildings--The prison of course. The prison was converted to a resort. That resort is now the "Divi-Flamingo Resort"

The ship itself has become an artificial reef. There are multitudes of reef fish. The blown apart mid-section reveals the boiler sections. The wreck is easily penetrated at this point. The large cargo holds allow lots of room and there is plenty of sunlight. Max depth 55 ft, this is a dive for both beginners and seasoned divers. The ship is on its side. The bottom is almost like a wall dive. Look up and see the colorful sponges and corals encasing the hull with the bright sun shinning overhead. Also sometimes stingrays hang out in the sand 50-100ft away from the wreck. There are several VERY LARGE green moray living there, so be sure to look under things (especially in the blown up section).
Great dive for all. Not too deep, easy navigation around the wreck. More experienced divers may want to explore inside the wreck.

Wednesdays at 10am and Fridays at 3pm is "Malmok" reef-70ft max (sometimes called "blue" reef) This site offers a 150ft water tanker wreck as well as a reef in one dive. Very nice dive for all levels.

Tuesday and Thursday at 3pm-"Arashi" reef(45ft max). Great dive, lots of arrow crabs. Huge green moray, spotted moray. The reef is dominated by soft corals but also contains some very large brain corals. For all levels.

In general, the reefs are much healthier on the south coast. Vis better too. The best reef and vis, unfortunately, is only accessible by shore, and requires a lot of work.

Aruba General ifo:

Power is the North American voltage standard of 110 A.C. (60 cycles), the same as in the United States and Canada Power failures are rare. I suggest a surge protector if you intend to charge camera batteries or vieio equipment.

1 US dollar=1.75 Aruba florin. American $$ accepted anywhere. Sometimes small change will be in florin, but otherwise your change will be US.

Supermarkets have almost anything we have here, prices are similar, some slightly higher.

It is always very windy in Aruba. I mean real windy, like, don't wear a baseball cap windy. Keep that in mind when you pick a spot to lie on the beach. Find somewhere where you won't get sandblasted. The beaches are BEAUTIFUL. White sandy, fringed with palm trees.

If you chose to rent a car, I suggest "Amigo car rental" they have good deals on cars and jeeps(samurai) Real jeeps(wrangler) are available through "economy car rental" but they cost more than the samurai or jimmy.

Busses run every half hour and cost $1.25. Most are full size busses, some are just mini-vans and are easily confused with Taxis.

Food:
There are plenty of nice restaurants ($$), for local quizine try "the Buccaneer), for a fantastic (and huge) steak, try "el Gaucho".

For more moderate prices (under $20pp) :
Iguana Joe's-Downtown. Tapas, fahitas, ribs etc..
Salt & Peppers-opposite the "Allegro" resort-lots of tapas, and international quizine.
The Bangozza Bar & Grille-at the "Mill Resort" nightly specials, complete dinners for $12, Wednesday-all-you-can-eat ribs nite. This place also has the best happy hour 5-7pm. Say Hi to Randall, Rosa and Gloria from Andrew.

Pelican Adventures offers a snorkel cruise and a sunset cruise. Both are 2.5 hours and include snacks and unlimited drinks, it is a lot of fun. Also jet skis, parasailing, windsurfing, water-skiing etc.

Northside jeep tours are fun, but rather than go with the big groups and packed jeeps, try this. Rent your own jeep for the day, get a map. Drive to the California Lighthouse around 8-8:30am. You will see the tourist jeep convoy come through. You can easily follow at a distance, so you don’t get lost. Or just use the map and follow the coast line.

If you like to party, try Carlos and Charlie’s-downtown (especially Fridays). Other fun spots include: Scandals, Mambo Jambo, and the Tattoo party cruise. "

I read some of those other threads. Actually I did my initial OW with Red Sail and we snorkeled with Pelican. Both places were great.

Like I said the only reason I was really checking out Pro Dive is because they're right at my hotel! But if their boats leave from downtown, it would actually be further than the trip to Red Sail or Pelican anyway.
The best reef and vis, unfortunately, is only accessible by shore, and requires a lot of work.
Is that baby beach? I remember when we were there, someone telling us they did a lot of shore diving there.

How is Pelican as far as finding a buddy for solo divers, maybe pairing up with the DM even? I'm actually going with mom and dad. They have a time share, so how can I turn down a free room in Aruba! Plus I have one week of vacation left. Use it or lose it! Dad was certified a few years ago, but never actually went diving afterwards (no buddy). He's probably going to do the refresher, but I doubt he'll be diving as much as me. Also I heard that although Pelican does guided dives, they let you go off on your own a little too, so you don't all have to end the dive, when the first once a year, horrible air consumption, vacation diver taps his tank?

Maybe you can answer another question for me too, since you've lived down there? You wouldn't happen to know of anyone who rents camera housings down there? I have a Canon EOS 10D. Ikelite's housing isn't coming ou until January. There are housings available now, but they are very expensive. I was thinking maybe I could rent one of those housings for the week? I'd rather do that, than shoot a billion rolls of film with my MX10, which is hitting ebay as soon as the Ikelite comes out!

" .Is that baby beach? I remember when we were there, someone telling us they did a lot of shore diving there."

Yes Baby Beach, and other spots near there. The currents and surf are usually strong which makes entry/exits challenging. Also a bit of a surface swim. If you have a driver you can get dropped off at Baby beach, enter, do a drift dive then exit at cocoa beach. Also near cocoa beach there are com cables running from shore all the way to venezuela. I like to enter there, swim to the reef, head into the current, then once I turn around I have the reference of these com cables as my exit point. As I said before, this is a dive best suited for strong swimmer, advanced divers and should be done with someone experienced at these sites.

"How is Pelican as far as finding a buddy for solo divers, maybe pairing up with the DM even? "

No problem

"Also I heard that although Pelican does guided dives, they let you go off on your own a little too, so you don't all have to end the dive, when the first once a year, horrible air consumption, vacation diver taps his tank?"

True. The pm dives on the wrecks are easy to navigate. The boat is moored on the wreck so if a buddy team needs to end early due to air consumption, they simply ascend back to the boat and the rest of the group can continue. Most of the am dives are drift dives, therefore all must stay together and end the dive together in the case of air hogs. Uncommon tho as these dives are mostly advanced and above divers.

"Maybe you can answer another question for me too, since you've lived down there? You wouldn't happen to know of anyone who rents camera housings down there? I have a Canon EOS 10D. Ikelite's housing isn't coming ou until January. There are housings available now, but they are very expensive. I was thinking maybe I could rent one of those housings for the week? I'd rather do that, than shoot a billion rolls of film with my MX10, which is hitting ebay as soon as the Ikelite comes out!

As of when I left, I know of no one who rents these, sorry.
I saw the owner of Pelican at DEMA in Miami a few weeks ago. He told me they had completed the expansion projects that were underway when I left. Still I doubt they have the housing you need.

I'll be heading back to Aruba soon myself. When are you going?

Actually I leave Friday. Yeah I know nothing like waiting till the last second. Actually I've been searching for the housing for weeks.

No turkey this year!

Hey you don't have their number do you?

Tried every one on the site and get that good old "blah blah blah, hang up and dial again"

Hey you don't have their number do you?

Tried every one on the site and get that good old "blah blah blah, hang up and dial again"

Try these.........

from USA 011-297-863-271

or 011-297-872-302

Pretty sure the first one is the pier (best place to call) Second is main office.

Eugine and Evan aren't there anymore, as far as I know anyway. Everyone was really cool though.

I don't remember if I said before, but I did my OW with Red Sail. After going to both places, I'd go back to Pelican first. Everyone was very cool at both places, Pelican was just more fun! A lot more joking around, etc.

Did my AOW while I was there and unlimited diving. Night dive on the Antilla was awesome. Didn't get to do the Jane Sea, but we hit a different spot each morning. Saw a lot of big animals down there too. They even saw a lemon shark, last day, when I decided to do the afternoon dives instead, damn!

Would have done the Star Geren if I was leaving a little later on Friday, they only do it on Thursday's. That's the only spot they hit that I didn't see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom