Asthmatic Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nickwaah

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
any divers with asthma care to share your experience in diving?

i am asthmatic but it has never bothered me for about 20 years now. i've been down to 150ft with no worries

I read an article in the UK DIVER Magazine that the old view on asthma and diving has been put aside for new way of look at the problem. Obviously it's still the same problem; cold dry air in combination with hard work/stress can trigger the symptom, which is exactly what we breath when we're diving and if we work hard against a current and get stressed for some reason, 150ft beneath the surface is not the most forgiving place to be. You might be ok on your first 100 dives but on the 101st something happens that trigger the asthma and then you're in trouble. The thing is also that the problem you get is that you can't exhale (if I've understood it correctly) and that's something you want to be able to do if you have to make an emergency ascent...

I have friends who got "green light" from dive physicians and they dive without problem, still some other friends who wanted to take the course got "red light" by the same doctor. There are plenty of different kind of asthma and some are ok to dive with and some are not.

...a...
Red Sea Expert ;o)
WELCOME TO AZIAB

well, luckily i won't be going to those dangerous depth, not while i'm diving for the coast guard.
so far i've done some activities without attacks that have troubled other asthmatics (like i said roughly 20 years now- not saying i'm cured) and i hope it stays that way too.

another thing i was thinking about was ways to ease the attacks i.e. pump (no idea how it'd work under water) or pills (again no idea how i'd take it under water)

:popcorn: Let the debate begin!

Seriously though, I have friends with asthma, a few I'd dive with, one I definitely wouldn't (far too serious condition). Unfortunately asthma is so varying between individuals that doctors and experts will likely never reach a consensus on the issue. Whether we be perfectly healthy divers, asthmatics, diabetics, or obese divers (picking the most recent favorite discussions on this board), we're all best served by understanding the risks we face, and diving wisely.

Cheers and safe diving, I'm interested to see where this thread goes.

I'm not asthmatic, but I have in the past taken similar meds for a mild lung reaction caused by chemo/radiation therapy. My oncologist had no concerns in clearing me to dive. I did look into this issue when I considered learning to dive, though.

I think the key element is control. If an asthmatic is prone to needing a rescue inhaler, that would be a big concern for diving. The reactions that produce those symptoms can also clog the small airways with mucous, and that's putting someone at risk for lung overinflation injury.

I can't imagine using a rescue inhaler at depth (you have to suck in air vigorously to get the meds down into the lungs, and any water that had leaked into your mouth would go down too. Big problem!), and by the time one is taken the mucous might be in place anyway. That's probably why the guidelines PADI puts out suggest that if the patient uses a rescue inhaler, the physician should probably blackball them. If the asthmatic patient is so well controlled he doesn't need that particular form of medication, PADI grudgingly admits the physician should perhaps give him the green light.

samaka : yes, the dyspnea seen in asthma is most commonly a difficulty to expel the air from the lower respiratory tract.

Although its etiology has not been completely unraveled, asthma has a major psychosomatic component. Stress will worsen the symptoms, granted, but can also trigger an attack.

An underwater situation that could generate enough stress.... hmmm.... a life-threatening emergency perhaps?

Thus, an asthmatic diver's attempt to save him/herself or someone else may end up FUBAR.

There is a lot of risk management in scuba diving. Is diving with asthma an acceptable risk for you or your buddy?

I am an asthmatic. When I was 10, the doctor told my parents I would never be able to run.

Surprisingly, I found out later that running and cardio training not only relieved the symptoms, I no longer had to rely on medication. (confidence helped a lot as well) EDIT : I haven't used any asthma drugs for > 15 years.

I understand that I can still have sporadic attacks though. Safety being priority number 1, there are things you can do to prevent problems :

- avoid smoking
- stay in (cardiovascular) shape
- practice your dive skills : buoyancy, trim, swimming, safety drills...
- know your limits/push your limits in small increments (do not be overconfident)
- plan the dive/dive the plan
- don't worry about calling the dive

It's a great topic. I'd like to see what others think of asthma & diving.

I have asthma and have gone through some of this same debate. I have decided to dive since my asthma is mild (no rescue inhalers). My PFT's (lung test) are normal when I use a daily steroid inhaler (this is long acting and not something that would stop working in the middle of a dive). If I get a cold it triggers my asthma (symptoms are mostly cough). I do not dive under these circumstances or for a week after. If my asthma ever becomes worse (needing rescue inhalers or less predictable) I will sadly find another sport.

While asthma is a potential risk factor for barotrauma due to gas trapping, ( ie inability to expel gas due to partial closure of the airways), the potential to be cleared for diving requires some perspective. In other words, if your asthma is stable, you're aware of what precipitates an attack ( eg cold), you rarely require additional medication and you have not been hospitalized recently with an acute attack, then diving is not unreasonable. However, if you were steroid dependant, heavily dependant on your inhalers to get through the day then you would be considered high risk. Many people lie in the former group or somewhere in between. It is important to ensure that you are on optimal therapy before considering diving, and then evaluate your level of dependance with your physician. "Perpsective" is the key. Being honest with your own acknowledgement of potential and real limitations of the condition and your experience with it.
Safe diving.

I am an asthmatic but have grown out of the majority of my attacks as I get older.

Medicine is slowly moving away from the idea that asthma is a complete contradiction to diving. There is a growing feeling that some asthmatics can dive safely if there asthma is minor, can be controled by meds and that the triggers and contributing factors are not contradicted by diving.

I have wanted to dive most of my life but never got around to it until I was 60. After doing some research about diving and asthma I saw a doc at my local clinic Who is a diver and aware of the issues of diving and asthma. He told me that the major factors in diving with asthma is breathing cold dry air and exertion. He asked if I could shovel snow (Minnesota) without asthma attacks and if I used an inhaler with any frequency and if my attacks were sever. I said no to all the questions and that my asthma needs an allergen trigger now. I have to be doing something like mowing the grass or be in a house with dogs.

The air in a scuba tank is in almost all cases the cleanest air that you will breath so there there is very little chance of an allergen trigger in the air.

In my case stress and exertion may play a minor roll if I had a sever attack (which hasn't happened in years.) I may use my inhaler a half dozen times a year to help with a minor attack set off by an allergen.

Would I dive if I was having an asthma bout NO. Do I use my inhaler as a preventative mesure on occasion YES.

I am one example of a person who can dive with asthma. If my asthma had different triggers and different things that exaserbated it I probably would not and could not dive. I know that until my mid to late teens my asthma would not have allowed me to dive.

Asthma is not a complete contradiction to diving but the asthma has to have very limited triggers, severity, and compounding factors for the indivigual to safely dive.

Hi
Having just been diagnosed with asthma last month I was of course immediately concerned with how it would impact upon my diving.

However here is some food for thought... I have had a 'Bad chest' for years, constantly coughing, always ending up on antibiotics several times a year in the winter, being labelled as unfit even though I do a fair amount of exercise. Due to my past history my GP (who is fantastic) states that I have probably suffered from asthma for many years. Therefore just because I now have a diagnosis, should I stop diving even though my problems have always been there.

I plan to continue diving but will of course recognise my limitations, however with one of my triggers being cold air, I think my days of winter UK diving are over. As I have already said to my other half at the minute I just do not feel like diving but continue to keep up my skills in the pool (where its nice and warm). I am hopeful with increasing my exercise regime and now I am on the correct treatment that my lung function will continue to improve and my diving will not be affected.

Once again as with most medical condtions I think it should be more about how it affects the indivdual rather than a blanket approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom