Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2: unsafe at any depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

…Needless to say, we are not using these caps any longer, and I'm notifying other computer manufacturers who I know use this sensor so they don't have the same issue…

That is truly a class-act. I can see a less ethical company keeping this to themselves for short-term market advantage. Kudos.

Yep, I'm not concerned as it is. We always take backups when we go on our trips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Just received my Cobalt 2. Wondering if it is safe to use? I am a bit concerned.

Just received my Cobalt 2. Wondering if it is safe to use? I am a bit concerned.
Just check the ambient pressure before and after a dive, as in my post above. That will tell you if the sensor is reading accurately. If it is reading too deep in a dive that would make the computer slightly more conservative.

Ron

I wonder about pools and dive computer. I seem to notice a lot of odd depth readings when we use computers in the pool for training. It happens on mulitple brands. So I would not judge the Cobalt on pool readings. Anyone know why that would be the case?

We'll I just received my replacement cobalt 2, this is reading the same pressure here in Vegas as the one I sent back, so now I'm pissed, but I'm thinking there is something I'm missing, we'll it is the national weather service, I have been using them for barometric readings, we'll there readings are all for sea level, I found a page for the local weather station which has the local pressure measured at this station and it matches what the cobalt 2 is reading, so I probably sent back a cobalt that doesn't have a problem, I will have to contact adon this morning and let him know, even watching the local news weather, they don't give the local barometric pressure they give sea level pressure, I'm sure there is a reason for this, but I don't know what it is, anyway I'm glad I got it figured out.
Sincity

I wonder about pools and dive computer. I seem to notice a lot of odd depth readings when we use computers in the pool for training.

When I purchased my Cobalt 1 it was too cold to actually do a real dive and was forced to test it in the pool; worked like a champ. Actually, it was a good thing I tested it in the pool as the hose had a very small leak; I had purchased the Cobalt used. I contacted AA and sent a short video clip of the issue and within a week I received the replacement hose- no charge, no hassle. Problem solved. You can't beat that for customer service.

Thus far I have logged several dives with my Cobalt and am very happy with the unit.

RonR,
You wrote the following, The identical depth sensor in question is used on many- perhaps most- dive computers, and has been for many years, to the tune of many tens (hundreds?) of thousands. Suunto, Shearwater, Uwatec, the Cobalt 1, and others all use or have used this same sensor- so it is not a common failure point. And as it turns out it wasn't exactly a bad batch of sensors, though it really looked like that at the beginning. I'm curious who makes the sensor?

Have be a great day!
Safe Diving

I have a dive buddy that has had to send his Cobalt back 3 times in the past 12 months. He had all types of issues and was going to sell it when it got back from repair. He never abused it or treated it poorly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom