Atomic M1 environmental sealing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogman

Reaction score
Anybody out here have the Atomic M1? Am particularly interested on its environmental sealing. Is the sealing still the old packing lube? Or is it something new since Atomic claims it can be used up to 80% O2? I have a B1 and was wondering if its possible to upgrade it to the the M1 environmental sealing feature only, that is if its a none packing lube.

It is the same as most other piston regulators. The ambient chamber is filled with christolube and the rubber trim ring is one that doesn't have holes. It can be done on the B1, T1, Z1 as well, and I believe it will be exactly the same as the M1, even down to the part used. (The trim ring.)

Christolube is highly resistant to oxidation, hence the 80% O2, and I think also less viscous than silicone grease, making the impact on performance minimal. It's also pretty expensive, so servicing will cost more if you have an environmentally sealed regulator. (Not sure, but maybe $20 more for the christolube?)

I'm looking into getting an M1, but if I do, I'll probably get rid of the environmental sealing on the first service, as I don't really need it, it may potentially be messy, and I would have to pay for the christolube every time it is serviced.

I see you are in the Philippines, why do you need environmental sealing?

Just a thought. I just want the sealing to keep away contaminants and silth when I do wreck dives. If its still the same packing material then its kinda messy alright. And the O2 lube is kinda pricey, too. I thought Atomic have a better way of environmental sealing. Oh well, going back to my Apeks! Thanks anyway. :)

I just pressurized my T1x for the first time and there was quite a bit of Christolube coming out of the seal...messy. I guess I am not surprised that the initial pressurization would cause the 'excess' to be discharged, but is it going to be this messy all of the time?

whats the impact on performance as the lube continues to 'leak' out?

I've heard varying answers on the above and am looking for some real world knowledge.

TIA

Back
Top Bottom