Atomic or poseidon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseidon regs have the best work of breathing rating at any depth of any regulator available…

I believe that is second best: Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | Products | Full Face Mask Regulators

The reality is the work of breathing on any regulator with a CE rating is more than adequate for all but the very most extreme mixed gas applications. Not to take away from your primary point, I would get a Poseidon if I were in Europe.

…Also they are the only brand that has a actual oxygen service regulator right out of the box if you decide you want to do any decompression diving and would like to set up an oxygen deco cylinder.

FYI: Aqualung sells an O2 regulator now, and I think there are a few others:

Titan O2 Din

Poseidons are smashing regulators. I have an Atomic B-2 (a most excellent regulator also), whereas my fiance has an X-treme in his collection, so I've used both. They're both excellent breathers in virtually any position. That said, Poseidons are the perfect tool for cold water, and if that's going to constitute the majority of your diving, it makes sense to go that route, right? Me, I'll probably start using the Poseidon when I start cold-water diving again in the Northeast. I have certainly seen divers using B-2's in the Northeast with no problems, but I prefer a sealed diaphragm for those conditions. Just don't purge the damn thing in your mouth! I learned that the hard way when doing valve drills with the Poseidon..those things don't fool around when it comes to delivering air.

Just had a thought and confirmed it on Atomic's website... Their first stage is piston operated as well, so doesn't that pretty much leave only the Poseidon reg if you want to use it in cold water?

Just had a thought and confirmed it on Atomic's website... Their first stage is piston operated as well, so doesn't that pretty much leave only the Poseidon reg if you want to use it in cold water?

Atomic offers a cold water kit, as do some makers of diaphragm first stages. It is just messier to repair regulators with cold water kits — basically a boot to hold silicon in the pressure sensing chamber. It is possible, but less likely, for ice to form in sensing holes/chambers of diaphragm first stages too. The problem can be worse for surface rescue breathing rigs in super cold air temperatures than for divers.

One advantage of a piston with a well-designed cold-water kit is that piston O-ring life is extend by the lubricating anti-freeze oil or grease and salt-water corrosion is eliminated. Most kits have more of a tendency to leak oil all over your gear bag and there is a lot more fluid to deal with when repairing. I have no direct experience with Atomic’s kit, which may be better or worse than the ones I have used.

Thanks guys, your comments where very useful and took a decision, I'm going for a double kit xstream duration from poseidon.
:):):)

What about Apeks? :confused:

The environmentally-sealed Atomics use Chrsto-Lube as the sealing medium under the piston. This makes it a royal pain to service the reg; the tech spends an hour cleaning up the mess upon disassembly. Christo Lube being as expensive as it is, we have to charge ~$30 extra for a rebuild just to pay for the 2-3 oz. of the stuff we use in a first stage.

Atomics are great regs. Poseidons are great regs. Neither are particularly ubiquitous, and servicing them can be a problem if you're not near a dealer. The Poseidons, however, are very proprietary and there's not a lot of interchangeability between them and other brands, even with common parts such as o-rings. Poseidon's are metric. Others are standard.

If I were diving cold water, I'd use Poseidon over Atomic. If I were diving in the Caribbean I'd choose Atomic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom