Australia in the summer & Liveaboard recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Ya.

I lived in Cairns for a while - started diving up there - so if Cairns is a possibility (you'll have to get there via one of the major cities, unless travelling from asia) - here's my two cents worth.

Think I liked about Cairns was the ability to make a decision to dive, and have the ability to be on a boat in 10-20 mins for a day trip should the weather be nice.

Coral Sea and Cod Hole are great dive spots - fewer boats head out there as it's a fair distance to some dive spots, and you need to travel in deep seas - I've been on the Spirit of Freedom a couple times (3d, 4d, or 7d trip) - excellent boat, small numbers, very comfortable - and as a consequence more $$ - still I highly recommend it and want to return for yet another trip in the future when time permits. I have friends who have been on Taka - more divers, less comfort, slower boat, but still a good trip and great diving.

I've been on the pro-dive boat liveaboard a number of times - they tend to travel about 3-4h out from the coast then move around various reefs over the days - nice crew and boat. You will have a population of people doing their diving course plus snorkellers, and consequently there is a little more sense of 'urgency' as the staff understandably need to try to stick to a tight schedule to fit the multiple dives in each day. All in all the crew and boat were a pleasure to dive and travel with.

You essentially pay more for creature comforts, and getting to the distant dive sites - however all in all they're all pretty good - and safe....

Good luck....

Awesome! We are using Mike Ball and flying out to the liveaboard for the 4 day cod hole and coral reef.
I can't recall the name of the liveaboard this second as I am almost out the door for work.
Did you rent your dive calc? camera? are they reliable?
Lemme know...

From what I've heard, if you're diving with Mike Ball, you'll be looked after. Most of the boats up in Cairns (from my experience) rent out a full dive kit, or parts there of depending on what you need. The D.computers are usually commonplace, and good quality (when considering they're for bulk usage). Cameras - again, boat dependent - I've seen some older cameras with 36mm film - and others which are digital and underwater casing which you can hire.

Regardless, I think that Mike Ball will provide a pretty good service (however I can't comment from personal experience). Enjoy and have a great time diving !

Back
Top Bottom