Avoid Peace River Campground at ALL costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey look at that, we have had 108 Views on this post already on the
Avoid Peace River Campground at ALL costs thread...... Now if we can get ALL the MEMBERS to read this,, that would be in EXCESS of 80,000 people. Think they would get a hint of how big this group actually is...

Well i wasnt there that night... but i do frequent the area and occasionally camp.

I beleive in what you guys are doing and untill someone from the campground appologizes for what happened they are not getting any future business from me.

Thanks for the info. We were looking at spending a week end there. But this is Florida, plenty of other places to camp.

First off I am holding my Peace River Campground reciept and on it it say's and I quote:

Notice To Guest
This property is privately owned. We reserve the right torefuse service to anyone and will not be responsible for accidents or injury to our guests or for loss of money or valuables of any kind. Disruptive guest will be removed without refund.
The Management.
I agree to read and comply with all campground rules and regulations as posted in the office and /or on the grounds.
X _____________________________________ than we sign by the X

Our site # W2 Date In 03/07/08 Date Out 03/09/08

1 adult 2 children (8) and (10) Camping Fee $10
ADD'L persons $20
Nights 2
Sub -Total $60
This bill was paid in full with my CC

First off this balance is wrong but the gracious person that I am, I did not say anything to you about it. I paid it and went on.

On my arrival and check in you had a new woman working for you as I was told later, who had no idea how to give me directions to my campsite to meet up with the Conch Group. All she said was it's way in the back maybe you can call someone who will come and get you. So I spend the next 20 min riding around trying not to bother our group and I got in kind of late and had no idea if they were all ready for bed. I did end up calling and getting help to my campsite.
Sat after our fossil hunt around 3pm I enter Peace River Campgrounds stop off to rent a golfcart for the remainder of the day. I asked the woman may I rent a golf cart she says yes I tell her I would like to rent it for the remainder of the day, she said we only rent them by the hour I said ok may I rent it for the rest of the day, she again say's we only rent them by the hour or by the day. I ask her once again can I rent it for the rest of the day, at this point I realize I am getting no where with this woman so I said yes I would like to rent the golf cart for the hour AT that point she say's to me at the end of the hour you can rent it again if you would like. This woman should have never been allowed to be behind the desk is what I am thinking at this point. I pay for the cart Give her my D/L and off I go. About 30 min had gone by the men in the red hats come by and say the kids are not driving the golf carts the way they should as he is telling us this a 4yr old goes riding by on his golf cart and he said nothing to him, all weekend we had kids with no helmets ATV's, Golf Carts, Dirt Bikes riding around our campsite but we have 8 ,10 and 13 yr olds being very carefull and taking care of your equipment and not playing in the mud like the rest of them. And a adult with them. When time for the cart to go back I take it back in time for the lady to ask me would you like to rent it for another hour I say no becasue it takes at least 15 min to get back up to the front because they only go 5 miles per hour if that.
We head back to camp and we are being watched by the red hats once again wondering what now. We get back to camp to find out that because we invited a guest for dinner who was in the Conch Group (just not able to spend the night) was not allowed to stay and not only did you have them leave but the camper who asked them if they would like to have dinner before they made that long trip back to their home pack up and leave as well. ( and by the way she is with child and was hungry)
Not only did you ask the camper that had already paid for their weekend leave you gave them 20 min to pack up everything, these where the same people that made the dinner for everyone that night so everything they had was on the fire and hot. (pots pans the extra grill to keep food warm. You made such a big deal out of nothing and brought not one but 4 red hats to sit and watch them pack up and yell time at them as if they were not moving fast enough for them. The way they were treated was wrong very wrong and I will never ever send or go back to your campsite again and if I can speard the word around the world I will.
Futher more with the price I paid for camping this past weekend it should have been enough money for them to be able to stay and eat dinner with us.
Our group rate was $4 per child per night and $10 per adult per night so for 2 nights it should have only come up to $36 but my bill came up to $60 I have my reciept/ car tag to prove this....... and I paid by credit card
So I believe there was enough money from the error that your office staff made ($24) which would have paid for both their stays for the entire night at $10 per night per person.... But all they wanted was to have dinner with us and than leave.
Sat night:
We have the red hats coming by our tents all the time looking into our campsite which I thought to be very rude and disturbing.
Sun:
We are all packing and here they come again watching us like we are really going to take a tree or bush, I am not sure what that was about but I found very disturbing to be watched like that.

This was my first time at your campgrounds and will be my last.

Rebecca Reisinger
Florida Keys

WOW....................:shakehead:

You all have great control of your tempers!!!!

I would have gone to jail!!!!:11:

I am so sorry to hear of the RUIN of your trip by those jerks!!

Hey look at that, we have had 108 Views on this post already on the
Avoid Peace River Campground at ALL costs thread...... Now if we can get ALL the MEMBERS to read this,, that would be in EXCESS of 80,000 people. Think they would get a hint of how big this group actually is...

Well you reached Sacramento CA.

And I Maybe there in FL, Your area, for two weeks in October.

Guess where I wont be camping!!:no

Thanks for the info. We were looking at spending a week end there. But this is Florida, plenty of other places to camp.

May I suggest Brownville Park up the road on US 17. Unlike Peace River Camp Ground, it's quiet other than the canoe trip companies dropping off canoers, no ATVs allowed, and cheaper with no hidden fees. Clean bathrooms, water at your camp site... on the river if your interested in fossiling.

Avoid Peace River Campground at ALL costs!

Wow...

...personal testimonials are a powerful thing, word of mouth advertising is how many small businesses make a living and how many are ruined. Thanks all for relating this experience, this is not good. I like to try different places when I travel around Florida and this place is off the list. I also have a lot of friends up north that come down with their RVs and will steer them away from this place. In addition, I'll also be cross posting this to five or six other forums where it will be relevant, including the one for my local dive club....I'm sorry you all had a lousy time, I'm not sure there is anything the staff could say at this point that would give them credibility but you're doing good to save some other folks the heartache.

DB

I had thought about heading down there this summer. I won't be staying there even if they do apologize to you all. Some things are just unacceptable and inexcusable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom